Hit Cap- Kitty DPS and Offset Feral Tank Gear

Topics: Rawr.Base.Optimizer, Rawr.Bear, Rawr.Cat
Mar 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

Two questions, first:

I wanted to verify an issue I am having with Rawr (Feral DPS module.)  I am currently hit capped with 2T9/2T10.  This week I will switch to 4T10.  When I run a 100% optimized regem/reenchant optimization, Rawr is giving me a gearing solution with answer of 237 hit rating.  It is maintaining agi/haste gems in some yellow slots and using hit/agi gems in others (rather than using straight +hit gems.)  I've always believed the hit cap is your primary goal then all of the agi/str/arp/haste/crit numbers come after that.  Does this make sense to anyone?

A second thing I would like to ask is: 

I want to use my cat gear and a few extra pieces to optimize my bear set.  My problem is that the cat gear produces so much threat value it is throwing the bear gear out of order.  How can I sort bear gear while ignoring threat or how do I sort/optimize bear gear for survivability/mitigation only?  I want to optimize the tanking side of the equation since I know threat can't be an issue using 1/2 cat gear.

Thanks in advance.  You guys always do great work and provide good answers.

Bitter

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Hit is valued pretty high for the majority of dps, but there come times where other stats can pull ahead.  It really depends on your class/spec/current gear.  I mainly play marks hunter, and I've had gear combinations where being being 3 or 4 rating under the hit cap was worth the extra armor pen I could obtain.

Feral was my main for the first half of wotlk, and I remember while hit still held value, it wasn't to the same degree as say casters.  It's not something a feral HAS to max.  Because you're working with an energy bar, the only thing a miss should ideally cost you is a 1sec GCD.  Besides missing occassional white hits or a FB, hit really isn't a big deal.

As for your tanking question, go to the options tab and change "Threat Value" to none or whatever you'd like it to be.

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Indeed, Hit is just a sub-par stat for Cats. It's good, but other things are better.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.  I need to read more in EJ I guess.  As far as the threat to zero, I've never been able to figure that out until today.  Thanks!

@Astrylian- could you please ask Blizz to give me one of your sutured cinches?