Backpack Addon

Topics: Retired
Apr 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, I did a quick search a few pages back and didn't see anything.

If Rawr could look at Backpack addons with stored data for a character you loaded and import all gear that you have it could then add that gear to the 'Optimize' list. Or just a separate Rawr made addon for this purpose. As a Resto/Boom druid I have gear that could eaisly be used for both and having Rawr know what my toon owns would be really helpful in automating Rawr.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:10 PM

CharacterProfiler seems to work for me.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:50 AM

sometimes I have to look for "rpgo-CharacterProfiler"

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I usually have to modify that mod to make it work every few revisions.  But is there any other addon other than the (now two years old rpgo-CharacterProfiler) out there that also stores the inventory/bank data?

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Rawr is only set up to read CharacterProfiler but there are others out there. You should be able to find them with simple searches on Curse, Wowace and the like.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Would there be any interest in developing a dedicated Rawr character exporter addon? It could export all the variables Rawr could use, and maybe even some extra Rawr-specific stuff like suggested model or whether to create gear items as "available gemmings" or "available items".

I've been looking for an addon project to work on for a while. Should I write up an XML export spec?

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Yes, definitely. Many people have said they were going to do this, and then never did. You're welcome to be the next one, if you like. ;)

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I'm using Characterprofiler myself, and have been even before using wow.  Using the saved files to make offline inventory lists, and summaries of all my items.  Quite nice if you'ere an altoholic and a notorious AH scavenger/crafter.

For just "rawr", having items in bank and inventory should be enough, but for a more generically usefull mod, it could store other usefull information also.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM

This would be great.  One thing I'd like to request is for the cheap enchanter... saving what enchants I know so I don't have to go in and check each and every one.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:53 PM

only if that can be disabled.  makes the files quite large to save full recipe lists.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Good point... More specifically the ones Rawr needs to know about if possible.  Rawr doesn't NEED to know about most 'chant recipes.  However, Characterprofiler already does a full scan of professions (granted the file is huge... I'm just sayin').

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM

That last feature probably isn't useful at all to Rawr's purpose, from a design or usability standpoint.  Rawr is about maximizing your character, and every single enchant is easily and cheaply had, even if you don't own an enchanter.  What recipes you personally know is irrelevant.  If you wish to go cheap, the functionality is there to force it into such operation.    There's just no reason to spend developer time on such a feature.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I guess it depends on what the dev expects.  If it's for a mod that ONLY does what rawr needs, then recipe's and a lot of other stuff that characterprofiler (CP) does isn't needed.
But characterprofiles is being used for a lot more than just rawr.

I.m.o. with CP no longer being maintained, there's a definate open spot for someone to step in and make a mod like CP, and add more features to it.  But as with CP it's nice if you can disable the parts you don't need yourself. 

What I'm using myself is inventory, bank contents (+ tooltips), cash, days played, collected tokens (emblems, honor, stonekeeper's...). 

Been looking for a decent tool to log Gbank contents so I can add the gbank contents of my AH scavenger toons also :)

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, there, OReubens, but have you checked out Altoholic?  It keeps track of guild banks.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Altoholic is a pretty good mod. It's been toned down A LOT in terms of storage space (before it took up 50 megs of Mod space, now it's barely a blip. Part of that is because they started using the DataStore mod set addon as their base storage system. Basically these brake down each of the storages into smaller chuncks of space, thus eliminating a large file WoW has to deal with.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Altoholic does a lot of stuff I don't need since it's being handled by CP. It also doesn't do enough so that I could replace CP entirely by altoholic. (or at least the last version I tried didn't). Altoholic is also quite a resource hog with no means to curb it (in the last version I tried).

Basically I've been looking for a mod that just saves Gbank contents, it doesn't need to have any kind of UI features which would complement CP.
Or a mod to entirely replace CP.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Alrighty. I thought about how I want to do this over the weekend, and I've come up with this format idea.

Here's an example I threw together of what it would look like if used on my Warrior. I've put in comments explaining what things mean and my reasoning behind them. Let me know if there's anything I may have forgotten or misunderstand. Do note that this is not live code. I just wrote this out after looking at the Rawr character format and what I could accomplish reading WoWWiki. I'll begin work on the actual addon tonight.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<RawrCharacter xmlns:xsd="">
  <Locale>enUS</Locale> <!-- GetLocale() isn't very specific. -->
  <!-- Talents: I thought about keeping these in one string, but I
       chose multiple strings in case talents are added or removed.
       - - - -
       These are just the result of iterating over the
       talent trees with GetTalentInfo() and friends.
    <TalentTree tab="1" name="Arms">3502000023000000000000000000000</TalentTree>
    <TalentTree tab="2" name="Fury">300000000000000000000000000</TalentTree>
    <TalentTree tab="3" name="Protection">043351225000012521330113321</TalentTree>
  <!-- Glyphs will be the SpellID returned by GetGlyphSocketInfo() -->
    <Glyph type="Major">58406</Glyph>
    <Glyph type="Major">58397</Glyph>
    <Glyph type="Major">58407</Glyph>
    <Glyph type="Minor">58280</Glyph>
    <Glyph type="Minor">58277</Glyph>
    <Glyph type="Minor">68163</Glyph>
    <Profession slot="Primary">Blacksmithing</Profession>
    <Profession slot="Secondary">Mining</Profession>
  <!-- Format: ItemID.Gem1.Gem2.Gem3.Enchant
       The presence of a Blacksmithing/extra socket should be
       determined by checking the item for "too many" gems.
    <Item slot="Head">47678.41380.40167.0.3818</Item>
    <Item slot="Neck">45696.</Item>
    <Item slot="Shoulders">48460.40119.0.0.3852</Item>
    <Item slot="Back">50466.40119.0.0.3294</Item>
    <Item slot="Chest">48456.40119.40119.0.3297</Item>
    <Item slot="Wrist">47571.40119.40119.0.3850</Item>
    <Item slot="Hands">48457.40119.40119.0.3330</Item>
    <Item slot="Waist">50991.40130.40119.40119.0</Item>
    <Item slot="Legs">48459.40130.40119.0.3822</Item>
    <Item slot="Feet">47885.40119.0.0.3232</Item>
    <Item slot="Finger1">47731.</Item>
    <Item slot="Finger2">47888.</Item>
    <Item slot="Trinket1">47735.</Item>
    <Item slot="Trinket2">47216.</Item>
    <Item slot="MainHand">47500.40119.0.0.2673</Item>
    <Item slot="OffHand">47910.40119.0.0.1071</Item>
    <Item slot="Ranged">47660.</Item>
  <!-- The format is the same as above. The "bag" property
       is there just in case you guys ever want to add
       some kind of "I forgot I had that." feature.
       - - - -
       Below is an example of it finding my DPS set.
    <Item bag="4:1">50798.40111.40111.0.3789</Item>
    <Item bag="4:2">50761.40142.0.0.3789</Item>
    <Item bag="4:3">48386.49110.40111.0.3832</Item>
    <Item bag="4:4">47675.41398.40142.0.3817</Item>
    <Item bag="4:5">48389.40142.40111.0.3823</Item>
    <Item bag="4:6">48390.40118.0.0.3808</Item>
    <Item bag="4:7">48387.40142.40111.0.1603</Item>
    <Item bag="4:8">47859.40142.40111.0.0</Item>
    <Item bag="4:9">47573.40111.40111.0.3845</Item>
    <Item bag="4:10">47511.40037.0.0.3826</Item>
    <Item bag="4:11">50791.40111.0.0.1099</Item>
    <Item bag="4:12">47730.</Item>
    <Item bag="4:13">49485.</Item>
    <Item bag="4:14">47214.</Item>
    <Item bag="4:15">47729.</Item>
    <Item bag="4:16">40684.</Item>
    <Item bag="4:17">47659.</Item>
    <!-- Pretty obvious, if I do say so. -->
    <!-- Normally, any gems or enchants will be marked available. -->
    <!-- As the exported data above will /always/ include gem/chant
         data, the user can choose wether or not to import everything
         as specific gemmings or just regular available items.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Hey, not sure if this was covered in your example ZD, it didn't appear to be..

Could you include support for both talent specs, for people that are dual specced? it would be awesome for for instance my DK that's a tank and also a DPS.. if your already pulling all the gear from his bags/equiped.. it certainly would be nice if it pulled both specs as well. I hate having login, change spec and log out to have rawr be able to grab both specs from the armory.

I'd very much appreciate this support. Also, while I understand the addon isn't wrote yet. thank you very much for doing so.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:28 AM

I had thought about pulling both specs and even equipment manager sets, but the problem is where to store it? Rawr doesn't support dual-spec or gear sets, and most of the time a character's specs would be spanned over two different models (Tank and DPS in your example, which are completely different models). I decided it was easier to just have the user swap their specs and gear set in-game and re-export.

I'm mostly trying to mirror what the armory import function does, except with a local flat file.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:33 AM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Rawr supports creating multiple talent templates and storing them.. Perhaps look at how that's being done? Maybe it won't work for this though, I don't know.

I see after taking a look at a exported character xml file that it doesn't appear to save any custom talent specs to the character file.. so, I guess that really isn't going to work.

Maybe the next best thing would to have your addon just spit out two files for any toon that has dual spec automatically.. one for talent spec 1 and one for talent spec 2. That way there's no reason to login and change specs, and log out to force an update of the file. It would still save from having to login and out multiple times to do the same exact thing.

"sometoon" "some server" "talent spec 1"
"sometoon" "some server" "talent spec 2"

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Something else to think about, you've got it setting what Rawr should use for the model.. is that going to work for hybrids? and how is it going to determine what it is your trying to accomplish?

for instance, a hybrid bear tank/cat dps (using the same talent spec/glyphs).. the only differences is going to be the gear used at the time.. how will the addon know which to export it as? especially since in this example.. it would have to know the difference between the bear and cat gear to auto set which model rawr should use?

Just thought I'd toss that out there to see if you had thought about that.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM

The problem with exporting both specs into "custom talent specs" is as you found, they are not saved on a per-character level. After a few exports (say, to update your bank items or quickly change gear sets), you could end up with a crap-ton of copies of your off-spec in the talents file. There just isn't a clean way of doing it, so I left it out. However, dual-spec export might be of some use to pure DPS classes or hybrids that have 2 of the same spec, but again, a "Character" in Rawr is not like a WoW character. Rawr characters are just one spec, one model per file, and really, it's probably better that way.

As for exporting, I was planning on doing it the same way ShockAndAwe exports EnhSim configs. Putting the generated text in a box and telling the user to copy and paste it into either a file or some kind of import window so Rawr can process it. No need to log out to export multiple profiles. Just set your character up however you like and export away. :)

The addon will try to guess the appropriate model based on your current class and spec, but there will also be a selector box to override that if you want to do something weird. That is mostly why that option is in the format. Though I did forget about Feral and DPS/Tank DKs. they will probably just have to select the model manually. Unless someone can give me a rundown on how Rawr figures out what model to use. ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing. I don't think I mentioned this before, but I'm just writing the addon. One of you Rawr devs will have to do the import part since I can't do proper UI development with MonoDevelop. I'm trying to keep the format simple so it will be easy to implement though. If you guys would like a format other that XML, let me know and I'll make another one. I picked XML since Rawr seems to use it for a lot of things.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Can you even save XML straight out of wow ?  I was under the impression that saved files were always lua.

The above would probably suit the needs for rawr. 
I'd probably continue using CP as a lot of info I need for my offline lists isn't in what you're planning now. :)

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Your right, it is saved in LUA format. Thing with Lua is that it is in a text format. So one could theoretically just use a text string evaluation. Most saved variables are saved in an Array using brackets "[]" with the variable name inside.

["Containers"] = {
	["Bag10"] = {
		["link"] = "|cff1eff00|Hitem:21843:0:0:0:0:0:0:2013112312:80|h[Imbued Netherweave Bag]|h|r",
		["links"] = {
			[18] = "|cff0070dd|Hitem:40675:0:0:0:0:0:0:295343401:80|h[Tempered Saronite Shoulders]|h|r",
		["size"] = 18,
		["ids"] = {
			[18] = 40675,
		["icon"] = "Interface\\Icons\\INV_Misc_Bag_24_Netherweave_Imbued",
		["freeslots"] = 17,

This was taken from my Altoholic's DataStore_Container Lua file to give some idea.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM
OReubens wrote:

Can you even save XML straight out of wow ?  I was under the impression that saved files were always lua.

SavedVariables are always LUA. I was planning on just making a really big string with concat functions and putting it in a window for the user to copy/paste straight out of the WoW client. No need to root through the SavedVariables folders. The fact that I've made the big long string happen to be XML is just to make it easier for you guys to write an importer. :)

OReubens wrote:

I'd probably continue using CP as a lot of info I need for my offline lists isn't in what you're planning now. :)

What extra info would you like? The format is still open. :)

Actually, speaking of extra info, I was thinking about making a debugging feature where it would export a lot of the character's stats (hitpoints, base stats, AP, +H, +D, current buffs, etc.) into a <SanityStats> section that models could use to check for stat math errors. Of course this info would be optional and possibly hidden from the casual user. It might help catch cases where for example; a character's health or mana is a little more or less than what Rawr thinks it is supposed to be. Thoughts?

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Regarding your Sanity Stats, we would need all the active buffs on the character at that time so they can all be set up correctly in Rawr at time of import for direct comparison.

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Edited Apr 20, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Absolutely. I was thinking about storing them as <Buff id="25898">Greater Blessing of Kings</Buff>

I also thought I might want to have it put up a warning stating "It would be a really good idea to cancel all your buffs before exporting with Sanity Stats enabled". I figured you guys might be able to use the SanityStats feature to aid in gathering info for bug reports more than being a common-use feature. I'd like to know if you guys would be interested in actually using the SanityStats feature (as it looks like it would be kind-of annoying to implement, and will greatly enlarge the export file).

Also, now I'm thinking about having the addon export buffs by default so it can supplement the default buffs list. What do you guys think? I'm mostly targeting this addon for use at the bank (to gather AvailableItems) and not in a raid, so I''m not sure how useful it would be for getting an accurate buffs list.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM

IIRC.  The previous plan was to have rawr auto link to a "self made mod save variables" to synchronise your available items.

Having users perform manual steps in wow, AND manual steps in rawr seems like a wrong way to go.  Just save data in lua, lua is easy to parse anyway.

What I'm using from CP:

• Character
    • Name, Server, Class, Race, Level, Gender, faction
    • Profession skill level (primary and secondary)
    • Money
    • Currency (emblems, honor, stonekeepershards etc.)
    • Time played
  • Inventory (backpack, 4 bags, key ring) 
  • Bank contents (bank and the bank bags)
  • Equipped gear
  • Mailbox contents
    • For the above 4: all Items per slot (not just wearable gear)
      • Rarity (item color)
      • Name
      • Id
      • Quantity (stack size)
      • Tooltip
      • Icon name

I'm using the above to make several html files, the one I use most is a page that shows items per group.  I can define my own groups. So I have groups like: "gems", "metals", "leather", "cloth", ... the "gems" would have all the various uncut and cut gems, mousing over the icon in the html shows me which of my toons has which ones in it's storage.
This comes in handy when I need to craft something, and I need to look up what character has a stock of that item in it's inventory.  I'm currently missing Gbank contents from that (which I'm sort of maintaining manually for the time being >.<)

I also generate some html's that combine the above info with data from Auctioneer which suggest where the potential moneymakers are. ;-)

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I don't mean to harp on Altoholic, but man it sure would be nicer for your in your first example.  Wanna craft something?  Just open the recipe, mouse over the mats list right there, and get a list of which characters have it and where they have it (bags, bank, mailbox).  If you're concerned about the resource usage I believe you can disable all but the type of information you want to save?  Do what you want, but it sounds like it would save you some back & forth to a web browser at least for that example.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM

The reason I don't want to use SavedVariables is in order to save them, you need to log out, and for a surprising number of people, that is a major turn-off (though I'm not sure why. o.O). The other thing is digging around in the SavedVariables files just downright scares a lot of people. (Imagine the bug reports of people accidentally trying to import another addon's .lua file or loading the .bak version and complaining that it's not updating their character.) If a person wants to export multiple configurations (say, both their DPS and Tank specs, or even multiple characters), they have to set up their character's spec and gear set, then log out, then find the right .lua file amongst the 100 others, import in Rawr, then log in again, set up the other spec and gear set, log out again, find the new .lua file and do another Rawr import. How is that not "performing manual steps?" With the copy/paste method, you just click "Generate", copy it out of the box, switch to Rawr and paste it into the import window. Done. Isn't that easier for the user?

The other problem is with "auto linking" against some SavedVariables file somewhere. What if Rawr is not running on the same system WoW is? Would I have to set up a fake WoW directory tree on the Rawr system and move files back and forth every time I log out? I usually use Rawr when I don't have access to my WoW-playing desktop. Of course such an addon could be written, and I might do that next if you really want it, but it would probably be easier just to hook it up to Altoholic (which, by the way, is awesome.)

The intent of this AddOn is not to constantly synchronize your AvailableItems. It is designed to be a supplement to the Armory import that also grabs your bank contents and can be used when Armory is down or not updating, and also a possible aid for bug reporting. The main reason I want to do this is because so many times I've loaded up the Armory profiles of guildies and found many things to change, only to find out that they had some important trinket or something in their bank that makes the all the optimizing I did pointless. Knowing what a person has in their bank is very important, and if I can just tell people "Run this addon and put it's output on the guild website so I can take a look at it." that would be awesome. However, without the support of the Rawr team to write an importer, I guess this effort is moot anyway. I'll continue to develop this addon in case you change your mind though. I hope to have it done by Friday or Saturday, depending on my raid schedule. :)

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM
xemnosyst wrote:

I don't mean to harp on Altoholic, but man it sure would be nicer for your in your first example.  Wanna craft something?  Just open the recipe, mouse over the mats list right there, and get a list of which characters have it and where they have it (bags, bank, mailbox).  If you're concerned about the resource usage I believe you can disable all but the type of information you want to save?  Do what you want, but it sounds like it would save you some back & forth to a web browser at least for that example.

If all your alts are on one account... maybe. :p  Maybe altoholic fixed this, but the version I last tried couldn't display x-account chars.  And the saved file format is missing info to do what I'm doing with CP.  Have been tweaking CP several times now as it's no longer being maintained by the author :s

Altoholic seems nice enough to handle some "for self crafting".  If however you're doing large scale manufacturing, it's inadequate. ;-)

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM

If you have multiple characters on the same account Altoholic is able to show all toons on said account in the General Saved Variable folder your WTF. If you have multiple accounts however, it is unable to generate one single file for all accounts. Each saved variable is saved in their respected account screenname.

Same file just each account has their own information that Altoholic is unable to see both.