So dear melee DPS,

Just to briefly mention my kitty dps situation:

Saurfang fight with raid buffs:
Rawr Suggested: 13800 DPS
Actual: 11900 DPS

Target heroic dummy without raid buffs:
Rawr Suggested: 7800 DPS
Actual: 6900 DPS

Do you also have this much variance? Do you think my rotation is to blame, or is it the same case for everyone?

FYI, I am keeping Savage Roar, Mangle, Rip, and Rake at all times. (Rip and Rake being cast when Savage Roar is up of course)

My only deviation from the optimal rotation that Rawr comes up with is:

• It recommends 4cp Savage Roar but I put Savage Roar based on the situation, varying from 1cp to 5cp. When I try different 'SR combo points' on Rawr's custom rotation tab, I can see the projected DPS decreasing slightly (by few hundreds), but not that much.

Thanks! 

Developer
Apr 13, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I'd say that is way within expectations. Rawr is a model, it does not perfectly reflect reality. I'd say your numbers are pretty good.

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM
Cat is notoriously difficult to reach your optimal DPS. It requires very very difficult planning and adaptation to crits/noncrits, energy pooling, JFMing, etc. It's going to be very rare that you actually achieve 100% of your potential, or even 95%, for that matter.
Apr 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Cat is one of the hardest DPS methods to pull of consistently and correctly.  There's a reason a lot of people use(d) FeralbyNight, Facemauler and similar addons - Cat is the hardest spec to play "perfectly" I've personally run into.

(I've played: 80 Shadow Priest, Ret Paladin, 3-specs Warlock, Surv/BM Hunter, Combat/Assassin Rogue, Cat Druid, medium-high level [75+] DK in dungeons)

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Thanks all

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Glad to know that this kind of thing is normal for some specs. I've been killin' myself trying to get to the 7,400 DPS Enhance says I should be able to do. Been having a really hard time getting over 6,500, but I'm also positive I'm not doing the PR-list 100% correctly (CURSE YOOOOU Maelstrom Weapon!).

Actually, something interesting about Saurfang in particular is at least with my guild, is the tanks stand opposite of each other, so a lot of times I end up "in front" of saurfang (even though I stand on the side) and Recount shows about 6% parries.

... though EnhSim's prediction is a good bit lower than Rawr's. >.> /whistle

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:25 AM
ZDBioHazard wrote:

Actually, something interesting about Saurfang in particular is at least with my guild, is the tanks stand opposite of each other, so a lot of times I end up "in front" of saurfang (even though I stand on the side) and Recount shows about 6% parries.

Your guild is definitely doing it wrong, if you didn't know.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Astrylian wrote:

Your guild is definitely doing it wrong, if you didn't know.

Yeah, I know. The tanks can tank him at a 90-degree angle so the melee don't need to move and are always behind him, but the people running my guild's raids don't like to listen to my proposals as they see it as undermining their authority and they "don't trust my math-y-ness"... -_-

...but my guild is full of wonderful and fun people to be around, so I just put up with the ignorance in the raiding department. Priorities y'know? :)

Developer
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM

But ... Saurfang has no front cone attacks... Why can't the tanks just stand on top of eachother?

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM

They definitely should be standing on top of each other.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM

My guild's tanks don't like to stand on top of each other because they don't know how to tell when the boss is attacking them other than seeing that the boss is facing them. -_-

Yeah, I know... You should have seen them do Koralon back when that was new... >.>

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Wow. That's a pretty frelling fail guild, it sounds like. Tell them to turn on frelling target of target. It's in the default interface for god's sakes.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM
A little on the blunt side, but wholly accurate. Yeah, Target of Target works, also watching your freaking HEALTH BAR. If you're tanking, you're getting hit, sometimes.
Apr 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM
ZDBioHazard wrote:

You should have seen them do Koralon back when that was new...

You made my day :D

However on anecdotal evidence, yesterday we had e quite a fun incident when a tank missed taunt on Sindragosa switch and the former one didn't noticed and run behind a cube. Big puppy running happily across the room - priceless :)

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I realize this is just a 'me too' post, but yeah... I didn't even know tanks would ever NOT have target of target turned on.  It shouldn't be hard... use skada/omen/default Blizzard UI to determine who has threat for extra help.