Enchanting not available?

Topics: Rawr.Base.Optimizer
Jun 24, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Hello.  I just got the newest version of Rawr, and when I go to optomize my character, it says that the enchants "Icewalker" and "+81 Spellpower (staves)" are not available.  Any ideas why this is, and how I can fix it?  Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Sounds like you misread that dialog.

You specifically have those items equipped, but not marked available.

(Additionally, Icewalker is the wrong enchant for your boots. Tuskarr's Vitality is the correct enchant)

Editor
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM

(...or Cat's Swiftness.  =D)

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Okay, then silly question.  How do I mark them available?  I'm just loading my character that I have saved on my CPU from the previous versions of Rawr.  I've never had this issue in previous versions...

And I assume you guys are kidding about the two enchant recommendations.

Developer
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM

no, they really aren't kidding.

For selecting the enchants for the optimizer RTM: http://rawr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=GearOptimization&referringTitle=Documentation

Editor
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:31 AM

http://rawr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=GearOptimization&referringTitle=Documentation

And no, we're not kidding about the boot enchant recommendations.

Editor
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Lol Jothay.

Developer
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Jinx

Editor
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Crap.  I guess I'll get you a soda in Anaheim... >.<

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Thanks folks.  Found out where to mark them.  Funny that I've never had to do that before...

Why would those enchants you guys suggested be the best for me, as an arcane Mage though?  Is there some reasoning that I'm not aware of behind it?

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM

Because they're the only ones with *runspeed*?

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Astrylian meant that as a statement, not a question. :P Movement isn't factored into most models, so Rawr usually doesn't actually tell you that it's better than the other enchants, but the extra speed to get where you're supposed to faster, or out of death spots faster, is better. You'll take less damage & leave the healers to do more important things, and you'll run into range of an add soon to start dps sooner = do more damage. Unless your class has a built-in runspeed improvement, get tuskar's.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Well as a mage I'm using Icewalker and I don't see a problem with it.

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM
Kavan wrote:

Well as a mage I'm using Icewalker and I don't see a problem with it.

Now I know you're just trolling.

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Check my armory.

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:15 PM
I find the difference between Icewalker and Tuskanarr to be a personal preference. If your hurting for hit (especially in lower tier gear), then I find Icewalker to be better. However in higher-end gear (such as 245 ToC or ICC gear) running out of fires faster is a lot more useful than hit (plus there is generally a large amount of hit available in the gear). At that stage, I find Tuskanarr better. As for BrW's comment, Cat's Swiftness is the best running speed enchant for non-Kitty melee outside Engineering (I <3 my kitties 30% run speed). I love it that my mage knows that enchant since quite a few guildies request it.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Kavan wrote:

Check my armory.

Kavan, stop being bad. :)

It's not a personal preference; there is lots of theorycraft to support it. It really is by far the best DPS enchant (and tanking enchant, and healing enchant...) for any class that doesn't already get a runspeed boost from talents. It's something absurdly low like 2seconds of movement per minute in a fight make it worth it.

Developer
Jun 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Guess I better get to work on getting movement factors into my model then. 

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I've done my math on it. Between blink and ABar there's not much benefit. If you have to move for 0.8 seconds to get out of fire it won't help you anything if you move out of it in 0.7. Anything up to GCD doesn't make a difference, if you need more blink is almost always better.

Developer
Jun 25, 2010 at 9:06 AM
Astrylian wrote:
Kavan wrote:

Check my armory.

Kavan, stop being bad. :)

It's not a personal preference; there is lots of theorycraft to support it. It really is by far the best DPS enchant (and tanking enchant, and healing enchant...) for any class that doesn't already get a runspeed boost from talents. It's something absurdly low like 2seconds of movement per minute in a fight make it worth it.

Change that to "for any class that doesn't already have a runspeed boost from talents OR other means to temporarily move fast. such as blink." 

Mages are casters, this means they typically already are out of the danger zone for many abilities unlike melee. Most of the movement requirements for ranged tend to be of the form "run out".  While melee typically has the "run out and run back in" issue.  Warriors can overcome the "run back in" issue with charge.

I'm not convinced that for a mage when played right, the runspeed enchants are guaranteed to be 'better'.