Silverlight 4, Visual Studio 2010

Topics: Rawr.Base
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Sometime in the not terribly distant feature, we're going to upgrade Rawr2's solution/projects to VS2010's format. Everyone please get VS2010 (or its appropriate Express versions) installed so that you can continue working on Rawr.

Same with Rawr3, along with upgrading to Silverlight4.

If anyone has experience with the Express versions of VS2010, please post here about which one worked best for Silverlight development, and WinForms.

Developer
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Any chance this can hold until after cata release ?  Or rather, I don't so much have issues with the solution/projects files (I can keep V2008 solutions/projects active myself) as with using language features that prevent compilation under 2008.

I've filed a request for changing to 2010 which has passed the prelimineary checkup surprisingly fast, but it'll likely still be a few months before I can swap over.  (express is a no-go for me).

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM

No, we're talking week or two.

"I've filed a request for changing to 2010 which has passed the prelimineary checkup surprisingly fast, but it'll likely still be a few months before can swap over"

Not sure what that means unless you're talking about something to do with your work. VS2010 installs side by side with VS2008 just fine, you don't have to wait for your work to switch over or something. Anyone can freely install VS2010 (or some Express version), and not get in the way of anything else they're already doing.

Developer
Jul 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Yes, it's work related.  I know they can run side by side.  The issue is that unless I can get a company certification for VS2010, I'm not even allowed to install it (and certification for build tools typically means we swap over to using them. Although I've tried to except that in the request). 

Yes, it's annoying and 'wtf' and all.  This has to do with being in an environment that "must" conform to certain regulations and needs a tripple blind development with 'certified build tools from different manufacturers'.  I can't and don't want to go much deeper into it, if the before description doesn't give you an idea of what I'm talking about then it's probably not going to help going deeper into it either :-)  Since my machine at home connects to the company server the rules and regulations extend to my home machine also.

I can handle keeping the projects and solutions in a working state for 2008 myself.  But if the idea is to also start using language/library features that don't compile on VS2008, then i'm going to be out of the loop of normal development until I can get 2010 installed.  Just tried to get an update on the state of things, but couldn't even get a sensible answer from the cert. group.

Developer
Jul 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM
OReubens wrote:

Since my machine at home connects to the company server the rules and regulations extend to my home machine also.

Ouch. That is beyond suck. >_<
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM
OReubens wrote:

Yes, it's work related.  I know they can run side by side.  The issue is that unless I can get a company certification for VS2010, I'm not even allowed to install it (and certification for build tools typically means we swap over to using them. Although I've tried to except that in the request). 

Yes, it's annoying and 'wtf' and all.  This has to do with being in an environment that "must" conform to certain regulations and needs a tripple blind development with 'certified build tools from different manufacturers'.  I can't and don't want to go much deeper into it, if the before description doesn't give you an idea of what I'm talking about then it's probably not going to help going deeper into it either :-)  Since my machine at home connects to the company server the rules and regulations extend to my home machine also.

I can handle keeping the projects and solutions in a working state for 2008 myself.  But if the idea is to also start using language/library features that don't compile on VS2008, then i'm going to be out of the loop of normal development until I can get 2010 installed.  Just tried to get an update on the state of things, but couldn't even get a sensible answer from the cert. group.

Ah hah, I think I get the picture. I'd suggest a second home machine that doesn't connect to work. And yeah, you can probably maintain a local copy of everything in 2008 for a while. I don't expect to use the new language features (mostly dynamic and optional/named parameters) in the base assemblies. I could imagine Kavan using them for crazy things in Mage, but you could just not build Mage. ;)

Developer
Jul 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM
Do what I've started doing now, I run my corporate system with a Win7 image and have a virtual machine running on it that connect to corporate so the VM gets all the corp policies and everything. Unity Mode replicates the programs out to my main Win7 and it all works nice and smooth.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM

You could just infect your system with Red Pill (SUCH a cool virus concept).

Developer
Jul 2, 2010 at 11:44 AM
Edited Jul 2, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Virtualisation is a non option.  The rules extend to any machine be it real or virtual connected to the company network.

A second PC (actually 3rd).. yes, that's an option.  But then we're talking about a butload of cash (PC, windows license, extra VS license, a separate phoneline and an internet subscription (don't have one now, I get my internet via the company server)).  And of course: finding room in my already cramped office for another PC :p

Coordinator
Jul 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM

So yeah, sounds like you're stuck on VS2k8, which will require a bit of maintenance on your side for the sln/csprojs, but should be workable.