Number of gemmings shown

Topics: Rawr.Base
Jul 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM
The number of different gemmings shown per item is 3 at the moment. I quite often hear from people that they have no use for this and it only clutters their fast overview of items. Would it be possible to reduce the default amount to 1 or is there a good reason it's on 3? I'm not creating an issue as I could change this myself but would like to discuss which value is the best to have as default.
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I think it's easy enough to change if you only want to see 1. By only showing 1, new users wouldn't understand that the charts aren't showing items, they're showing item gemmings, and that there's a difference.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM
Isn't this kind of backwards though? It now seems to be an option that is set to a default value to let new users know how something works but is changed by all non-new users (if they know they can change it). Seems to be it'd be better to have it set to 1 and let new users know about the option and the meaning of the item gemmings list in a different way
Developer
Jul 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM
I think this setting is something we have to cater to the noobs rather than the experts as a usability thing.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM
If you're setting it to show only one, you're in the minority. The default is the way it is, both because it shows the feature, and it's the setting desired by the majority of users.
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM
I know the first thing I do after downloading a new version is change the # of gemmings showed to 1. I find the lists so much more streamlined that way and makes it overall easier to use (for me). It is such a small task to make the change each version that i'm happy for it to stay as it is if it makes it easier for new users (or the majority if that is in fact the case). The other thing I have to change each version is the gem names in tooltips, buff sources & extra item info in tooltips. I find it annoying when I can't easily tell if something called "The Executioner's Malice" is a weapon or trinket or off-hand (it actually a neckpiece).
Jul 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I also change it to 1, first thing.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:56 AM

I am in line with Rarebeast as well. I change all those things shortly after each new version.

Developer
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I leave gemming suggestions to 3, simply because it shows me options.

I do set a lot of other things each version (like buff sources, extra item info etc), and proxy settings.  I'm finding it actually somewhat annoying that these aren't persistant. They should probably be saved in the registry rather than the data folder.

Developer
Jul 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM
Editing the registry is a bad idea for Rawr, we need to stay away from anything that could add to the suspicions that we perform any kind of keylogging
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I believe that settings persist through versions in the SL version.

Developer
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM
jothay wrote:
Editing the registry is a bad idea for Rawr, we need to stay away from anything that could add to the suspicions that we perform any kind of keylogging

Seriously ?

People need to just accept it tbh.  Saving settings in the registry is somethign just about every program does.  I don't get why people don't trust us, the sourcecode is even made available.  Of course that does assume they downloaded from codeplex and not some shady warez site.

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM
No. God, we aren't touching the frelling registry.
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM
OReubens wrote:
jothay wrote:

Seriously ?

People need to just accept it tbh.  Saving settings in the registry is somethign just about every program does.  I don't get why people don't trust us, the sourcecode is even made available.  Of course that does assume they downloaded from codeplex and not some shady warez site.

That's hardly the concern.  Touching the registry opens a can of worms so massive, I don't even have a word to describe it.  "Just because everyone else does it" is not good application design, either.  I for one have greatly appreciated Rawr's lightweight, hands-off approach to existing in the Windows space.  No installer nightmares, no ugly registry storage, just clean, simple XML and an unzip-and-run approach.  Trust me; I spend my days doing QA for applications that play with the registry and MSI/InstallShield on a regular basis.  It is a full-time job for a full team of people.

Developer
Jul 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Saving some settings in the registry is just convenience and doesn't cause any kind of issues.

The issues are with installers and elevation when you want to write in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (or user hives for anything other than the current user), neither of which would be needed for rawr.

Developer
Jul 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM
I think you are missing the whole giant neon sign saying "If we try to make Rawr edit the registry in ANY WAY, for ANY REASON, tens of thousands people will FREAK OUT". This is because of the overly abundant fear of keyloggers. It doesn't matter how clear we are in exactly what we change and/or the fact that the source code is available. We will have a TON of people refusing to use Rawr then, just because of it.
Developer
Jul 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM
dopefish wrote: Trust me; I spend my days doing QA for applications that play with the registry and MSI/InstallShield on a regular basis.  It is a full-time job for a full team of people.

QFT.  I feel for you on your install testing.

I'm so glad we finally got away from MSI in our consumer product releases.  We have our own install framework now that is wonderful. But I count my blessings that I'm not on install QA.

Developer
Jul 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Jothay wrote:
I think you are missing the whole giant neon sign saying "If we try to make Rawr edit the registry in ANY WAY, for ANY REASON, tens of thousands people will FREAK OUT". This is because of the overly abundant fear of keyloggers. It doesn't matter how clear we are in exactly what we change and/or the fact that the source code is available. We will have a TON of people refusing to use Rawr then, just because of it.

1) Suppose we did...  How are they going to know, other than looking in the code, and seeing that what we do is 100% benign.

2) Even a program like Calculator (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Calc), Notepad (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Notepad) and WordPad (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Applets/Wordpad) use the registry for storing info.

3) Surprise!  Rawr is already using the registry hundreds of times during it's operation.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM
OReubens wrote:

2) Even a program like Calculator (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Calc), Notepad (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Notepad) and WordPad (HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Applets/Wordpad) use the registry for storing info.

I repeat again: Just because everyone else is doing it, that does not automatically make it a good idea.  Even Microsoft makes mistakes, and they're the ones that wrote the bloody thing.  It's Just Not Worth It (tm) to open that big can of worms, when simple local file storage (or, if you want to be more enterprise-y, we could switch to config file storage) will do quite nicely.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM

No. God, we aren't touching the frelling registry.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I think there actually exists a way to load old config settings in the api. I don't know off hand how to do it, but I remember reading about it.

Developer
Jul 30, 2010 at 1:52 AM
To load your config from previous versions you need to do to your C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rawr\ and find the folder (named Rawr.exe_Url_<bunchagibberish>\) which has the settings for the previous version, copy it to a new folder for the new version and there you go. HOWEVER I don't recommend doing this because if there's been a change to the settings in how they are stored or something, it will keep Rawr from launching correctly.
Developer
Aug 2, 2010 at 1:03 PM

I'm not saying we HAVE to use the registry.   I'm just saying we really should consider "whatever" method that causes settings/options to be persistant accross versions. Having to set the frelling options every frelling time is frelling annoying.   This is especially true since new releases come so often.