SL4 + MEF + App Partitioning = Smaller Rawr

Topics: Rawr.Base
Jul 22, 2010 at 6:21 PM
I saw the Silverlight beta of Rawr that's currently available on EJ, and it got me curious - has anyone on the team considered using MEF and application partitioning to reduce the footprint of the application? Less to download, and you wouldn't necessarily have to increase the disk quota for the app. It took me about about two days to build a quick proof of concept on my own machine. Also, I was curious what the long term roadmap was for the project - do you plan to continue supporting WPF, WinForms, and Silverlight or just going Silverlight only? Thanks!
Developer
Jul 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM
WPF and Silverlight versions will be available, the WinForms (Rawr2) version will be retired.
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Yeah, I've considered splitting the app, but it's low priority at the moment. The Disk quota increase is required for the data files, which are shared between all models, and wouldn't be splittable. The app itself could be split by model, but since models are relatively small (zipped, 10-50k), it doesn't provide a huge benefit. I definitely want to do it at some point, it's just not high on our priority list right now.