Suggestion: DPS Optimizer on "Owned" or "Obtainable" Gear

Topics: Retired
Mar 27, 2008 at 5:08 PM

1) Mark items as being "owned."
2) Mark obtainable items as being "obtainable."
3) User will choose parameters such as length of fight and consumable usage.
4) User will choose which talent spec to optimize for (current talent spec).
5) User will choose how many "obtainable" items should be calculated in.
6) Rawr will choose items from list of "owned and obtainable" gear, choosing gems and enchants as well.

I'd use this to help figure out what my ideal gear setup will be when trying to decide what my next few upgrade pieces should be.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the great piece of software!!!
Mar 27, 2008 at 6:31 PM
Already done for b13.
Mar 27, 2008 at 11:30 PM

Astrylian wrote:
Already done for b13.

Now the question is, will you marry me? meh... how about, when will b13 be? =P
Mar 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM
Week or two.
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Astrylian wrote:
Week or two.

I've downloaded Rawr-17180, compiled it and an playing with the optimizer. I am on an old machine, but it seems to be very slow. ><
Mar 28, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Solmyr wrote:

I've downloaded Rawr-17180, compiled it and an playing with the optimizer. I am on an old machine, but it seems to be very slow. ><

I hope to add a slider to control how much it calculates, so you can trade some accuracy for speed. In general though, more processing power will give you more performance. It should take just a couple minutes.
Mar 30, 2008 at 2:52 PM
I'm running 12.1, so my comments are given in that context...

Right now Rawr separates gear from enchants, and that works really well. I enter what enchants I have, and I compare gear given that I will enchant the future gear in the same way.

However, having Rawr compare all gear I have will cause some issues.

For instance:
I have some pieces of T4 gear. Really nice. But since I'm in raids to tank I have them enchanted with +defence, +stamina and stuff like that.
When finding the best set of gear for dps though, I will most likely still want to include two pieces of T4 for the wonderful set bonus.
So, in essence I want to compare one shoulder piece with +defence enchant against another shoulder piece with +crit enchant.

That leads to Rawr needing to track enchants per item and not per item slot, and I guess that will mean a major change for Rawr.

Gems are tracked per item, perhaps it's needed to do the same with enchants. And then have the Enchant tab be the default...?

I'm sure you have better ideas that I do, but I thought I'd post my worries here.
Mar 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM
Just realised that my comment didn't really come out the way I wanted it. I read that the suggestion included that items should contain enchants as well.

However. Right now I have several duplicates of every item just to represent one item with different gems. Adding enchants in the same way will make double of tripple the amount of duplicates, and will make it harder to read lists and choose items since the lists will be so long...
Mar 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM
Besides, you can choose available enchants on a per-slot basis. If you want to limit your dps helm to be enchanted with defense, you can do that (I'm in the same boat).