Computing the proc trigger interval

Topics: Rawr.Tree
May 19, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Hello, I'm working on a new resto druid model (see patches), and I'm not sure how to best compute the trigger interval and chance of procs.

The issue is that the proc interval depends on spell selection, which depends on stats, which depend on the proc interval.

Furthermore in general the dependencies are nonlinear and difficult to express in a closed form.

I could attempt to execute the model iteratively, and perhaps save the trigger interval across evaluations, but I'm afraid this will terribly affect performance.

Currently, I'm just letting the user input the value; any tips on how I could do better?

May 19, 2011 at 2:52 AM

DPSWarr does it iteratively and maybe Mage? A couple of other models have moved to this as well. It's considered ok to do it because it make it more accurate, your procs *are* supposed to affect your procs.

May 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Moonkin does this with Nature's Grace procs, since it affects the rotation duration, which affects NG uptime, and so on ad infinitum.  I just set a threshold value for when to cut off iterating and store that value for the remainder of the calculations, recalculating when necessary.