source 62330 Unheeded Warning change wrong?

Topics: Rawr.Cat
Aug 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I downloaded and built the latest source 62330 with the unheeded warning and darkmoon hurricane change. In the trinket list, darkmoon: hurricane is the 2nd best trinket but equipping it results in lower dps than unheeded warning listed far below it. It seems something isn't quite right when darkmoon: hurricane is listed as the 2nd best feral cat trinket but results in lower dps. Was it only a cosmetic change?

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM

The only two things I changed in that release were

a) Unheeded Warning proc was changed from 650ish weapon damage proc to 1926 Attack Power proc. No change was made to chance to proc or ICD

b) Hurricane was listing as a 5% chance on Physical Hit to proc 5k Nature damage. However, if you look at the actual proc on the trinket

http://www.wowhead.com/item=62051

it lists it as a 7k proc. I admit I only changed the Agility trinket proc and not the strength trinket proc, and I'll get that fixed.

Now the ONLY thing I can think of that it is causing the trinket to be valued so high is that Physical Hit are generally considered to proc even on misses. I would need to test the trinket to see if this is the case, otherwise it would have to be changed to a Physical damaging proc which would probably lower the value of the trinket.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM

This was in the same hotfix:  "Melee auto-attacks should properly trigger trinkets."

It looks like only specials were triggering trinkets before.  That said, something seems fairly off about the nerf to the trinket which makes me think that it's not that big of a nerf (if at all).

Following a bit of logic here:  ((680 weapon damage * 14 weapon damage to AP conversion = 9820) / 6 {being active 10/60 seconds and unable to proc again until 60 seconds after initial proc is active}) = 1586.67 effective AP for weapon damage based attacks (obviously not affecting bleeds or finishers at all).  The value of the hotfix is at 1926 AP with no change to the ICD or chance to proc.

If I do some more funky math, perhaps this is explaining it:  (1926 AP / 6 {1 ppm}  = 321 Effective AP for all attacks)

Adding for clarification:  It's definitely a nerf in how it affects shred, mangle, and auto-attack.  But, it is a buff to rake, rip, and ferocious bite.

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM

well, I just double checked the proc rate of the Hurricane card on SimulationCraft and their proc rate differed from ours (we have 5% chance, they have 1 PPM). I've changed the proc rate in my local build and it dropped the value of the trinket quite substantially. This will be updated before the next release.