Mage Intellect Gems

Topics: Retired
May 23, 2008 at 10:09 PM
I just downloaded Rawr 14.1 yesterday, and I was playing around with it and looking at random things. I started looking at the gems, and I saw something that I didn't quite understand.
According to this newest version, the +int gems (+10 int is the epic version, +8 int is the blue version), were rating higher DPS than the +spell damage gems (+12 is the epic, +9 is the blue).  Now, before I post this as an issue, I wanted to make sure there wasn't any logic I was missing. My previous view has always been:  Spell Hit(until capped)>Spell haste>Spell Damage>Spell Crit>MP5/Spell Pene/Int/etc. (for fire, at least).

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything that I was missing before I posted this in the Issue Tracker.
Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
May 23, 2008 at 10:23 PM
It's quite possible for Int to be the best use of gem slots. Long fights, gnomes, and arcane spec all contribute to Int being ranked higher. Never seen it in a fire spec before, but wouldn't rule it out, if you're really really mana limited.
May 24, 2008 at 2:04 AM
For arcane, each +10 int gem becomes 11.5 int (assuming 5/5 Arcane Mind), which would become 2.875 spell dmg with 5/5 Mind Mastery.  That just doesn't seem like enough compensation for +12 spell damage. If a mage is in that much of a dire need for mana, they should probably get a shadow priest/get Clearcasting/pop mana pots/pop mana gems for maximum DPS

Astrylian wrote:
It's quite possible for Int to be the best use of gem slots. Long fights, gnomes, and arcane spec all contribute to Int being ranked higher. Never seen it in a fire spec before, but wouldn't rule it out, if you're really really mana limited.

Coordinator
May 24, 2008 at 4:04 AM
Plus more mana, more mana on evocate, a significant chunk of crit, at 5% more of all of that if you're a gnome.

You're right, they *should* get a spriest, and clearcasting, but given the parameters of not having them, and it being a long fight, especially if you get iDS, I could see Int being rated highest.
May 24, 2008 at 6:53 AM
Edited May 24, 2008 at 6:58 AM
+10 int gem(non arcane/non gnome):
150 mana
0.125% crit

+10 int gem(non arcane/gnome):
157.5 mana
0.13125% crit

+10 int gem(arcane/non gnome):
172.5 mana
0.14375% crit
2.875 dmg

+10 int gem(arcane/gnome):
181.125 mana
0.1509375% crit
3.01875 dmg

Unless I'm doing the math wrong (which is possible, it's 2 AM here and I'm about to go to bed), it still doesn't seem worth it over +12 Spell Damage gems.
Coordinator
May 24, 2008 at 8:15 AM
It ends up being quite alot more mana, because int adds mana regen now, and even more regen during evocate. Feel free to post your character file and Kavan and I can take a look, I'm just saying that it's totally possible.
May 24, 2008 at 2:20 PM
Well, actually, right before I went to bed last night I made another Rawr profile thing from scratch and changed one piece of gear from the previous set, and now the gems are working properly(read: +12 spell damage is way above +10 int)... so I don't know if I was retarded about one of the options or what, but it's working fine now.
May 25, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Zeph, did you enter your talents? I imagine that without talents, the spell sequencer would have you doing arcane blasts, for which int is more valuable than +dmg.
May 25, 2008 at 2:12 AM
Yea I entered my talents... I don't know. It's working now for the other profile I made, so my guess is that all this was caused by some form of pebcak.