Haste vs Damage and Observed Endgame Mage Gear

Topics: Retired
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:12 AM
What rawr.Mage is telling me and what I see endgame mages wearing are completely different in terms of haste vs. damage.  I see most of them use haste heavy items when rawr.Mage clearly shows that the damage heavy items are superior.

What am I missing?

-sol
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2008 at 7:38 AM
Damage vs Haste largely depends on raid support available.
Jun 19, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Raid support = shadow priest mainly :)

Depends on your gear too -- there's little point to stacking haste if your +dmg is low.

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:00 PM
1) Generally, no S.Priest, no Elemental Shammy.  Those goto the warlocks /cry  We get Resto Shammies.
2) http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spirestone&n=Solmyr
3) Using rawr.Mage and entering in what "raid support" options are available, it still shows my +damage gear to be superior to +haste gear.
4) I guess the only thing to do now is re-socket and see what WWS says?
5) I like lists, and you rock Kavan, keep up the herculean effort!
Coordinator
Jun 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM
Another thing you can do to be sure you're making the right decision is to doublecheck if Rawr is correctly estimating your mana situation. You're saying you get resto shaman, I'm not exactly sure, but I think there was no option for mana tide in 14.1, so unless you're using a dev build it might not be completely accurate. Just check what consumables Rawr is estimating that you'd need and compare with your ingame situation. If you can get through with considerably less consumables than Rawr is suggesting you might have to reevaluate your parameters. Either you'll have to increase mana income (you could simulate mana tide through shadow priest mp5 if you don't have the latest version) or you'll have to examine if dps uptime parameter matches in game situation. However if the mana situation is estimated correctly you can safely regem for damage instead of haste.
Jun 19, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Kavan wrote:
Another thing you can do to be sure you're making the right decision is to doublecheck if Rawr is correctly estimating your mana situation. You're saying you get resto shaman, I'm not exactly sure, but I think there was no option for mana tide in 14.1, so unless you're using a dev build it might not be completely accurate. Just check what consumables Rawr is estimating that you'd need and compare with your ingame situation. If you can get through with considerably less consumables than Rawr is suggesting you might have to reevaluate your parameters. Either you'll have to increase mana income (you could simulate mana tide through shadow priest mp5 if you don't have the latest version) or you'll have to examine if dps uptime parameter matches in game situation. However if the mana situation is estimated correctly you can safely regem for damage instead of haste.

Thanks for the info, but... mana tides are generally rotated out, the only thing we DO get, if we are lucky, is a bloodlust at 20%... lawl.  Well, I've just read that some of the endgame mages are actually using Zhardoom for the STAM?  /boggle.

Any ETA on when the next release will be guys?
Jun 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM
Be careful with the fight configuration. If you put a long fight, wihout pauses or enough mana regen, haste isn't the best thing, that's for sure.
Jun 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM

fr0d0b0ls0n wrote:
Be careful with the fight configuration. If you put a long fight, wihout pauses or enough mana regen, haste isn't the best thing, that's for sure.

I've configured for Brutallus.  6mins of nonstop dps (iceblock and fire ward are the only GCDs that "may" be wasted and not accounted for).