Can you explain Damage -v- Raw Damage

Topics: Retired
Jul 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM
I'm looking at the moonkin model and wondering what the two different damage sorts actually mean. I couldn't find an explanation of the difference between damage and raw damage. I was trying to work out if raw damage was the spell damage of an item with no gems/chants but that doesn't seem to add up.

Got a couple other questions/comments but I'll save them for another thread.
Jul 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM
We can assume that 'damage' needs to be directly related to that item's contribution to the total solution. However, the 'raw damage' part isn't clear at all in what it's trying to represent. I'd also like to see some clarification about this.
Jul 16, 2008 at 6:38 PM
I think I've figured out the difference between the two. When I set fight duration to a really short fight (1 minute) the two scores became identical. As I changed the fight duration to be longer the Damage score changed. I'm guessing the Raw damage is the pure value of spell damage, crit etc converted to DPS and the Damage total takes into account the fight duration so it uses mana regen as well.
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Carnacki wrote:
I think I've figured out the difference between the two. When I set fight duration to a really short fight (1 minute) the two scores became identical. As I changed the fight duration to be longer the Damage score changed. I'm guessing the Raw damage is the pure value of spell damage, crit etc converted to DPS and the Damage total takes into account the fight duration so it uses mana regen as well.

That is correct.

Raw DPS is (average damage for the rotation) / (average time for the rotation)

DPS is (Raw DPS) * (Time until oom) / (Fight duration)

I'm looking at a rotation with Raw DPS of 930, oom in 4m43s (=283s) on a 5 minute (300s) fight.

930 * 283/300 = 877, which is what I am seeing for DPS.
Jul 22, 2008 at 9:36 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM
test
Jul 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM
test