Topics: Retired
Sep 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM
I wanted to gather some opinions, both from fellow devs, and from users, about using an installer with Rawr. Right now, the root folder is a little scattered with the libs and other files. What does everyone think about bundling Rawr into an installer (TBD)?

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Definately. I prefer an installer. As long as it is able to safely update from a previous installed version that is.

Also I have checked this site daily for the past few days because I read something about 16.1 coming out soon (which it is now). Therefore I would like to suggest that Rawr got a feature to check for updates online. This should be a completely optional feature offcourse.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM
Excellent, thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll discuss this with some other devs, and wait for more feedback!
Sep 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Been considering making it ClickOnce distributed for a while, what do others thing of that? (Do users even know what that means?) That would take care of both concerns.
Sep 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM
I agree that ClickOnce would address the installing and updating concerns.  However, would that add more concerns like security?  Personally, I'd go through the minor inconvenience of manually downloading new versions.
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Hmm. ClickOnce would work fine. As far as security, is there a way to disable ClickOnce from checking for updates? The user could choose on an individual basis whether or not to allow updating, solving the security problem. Thoughts?
Sep 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM
There is, but not any intended way. I know there are alot of users who would rather it not check for updates every time it launches, so haven't really seriously considered ClickOnce. My thought is that a simple Tools > Check for Update... menu item, which just pops a message box saying something like "You have the latest version." or "New version has been released. Click OK to goto the download page." or something, would be best.
Sep 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Yeah, I agree. I think in the long run, that would be a much better solution. So if that was the case, would we still use ClickOnce for the install portion?
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Nope. I don't see a need for an installer at all. Nothing needs to be installed, really. Rawr just needs to be unzipped somewhere. I can see the point about the root folder being cluttered, and wouldn't mind putting all the dll's and cache xml's into a 'data' subfolder, would that help?
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Yeah, placing those files in a subfolder might help it appear more organized. This, of course, is just my thought, not necessarily the thoughts of all the users... Maybe no one cares?
Sep 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM
I think a data folder would be great. A cleaner look and an easier time finding char files if you just save them in the rawr root.
Sep 18, 2008 at 9:01 AM
Moved all of Rawr's assemblies and data files into a Data folder. The root folder contains just Rawr.exe, ReadMe.txt, and the Data folder now.

VERY IMPORTANT! Devs, and anyone building Rawr from the latest source: I've updated all the projects to build into that Data folder. However, you'll need to manually move your images and talent_images folders, and your BuffCache.xml, EnchantCache.xml, ItemSource.xml, and ItemCache.xml into that new Data folder.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:39 AM
One of the things I like about Rawr is that I don't have to install it any where.  It runs off my flash drive reguardless of the PC I am working on.
Sep 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, Rawr will continue to work this way. The folder will now just be a bit more organized.