High resolutions/DPI fonts

Topics: Rawr.Base
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 11:44 AM
I'm working on a 1900x1200 resulotion with 'large' DPI fonts. Rawr handles these badly. Even if I change my font to 'normal' sized, alot of the buttons still overlap/etc .

I searched this section and found a reply stating that its a bug with windows forms which can't be fixed. The post was rather old though and some googling did show some possible solutions.
I wont link them here since I wouldn't want to pretend to know how to fix it, but I was hoping you could have another look at it, as I'm unable to use Rawr effectivly because of this issue.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:40 PM
It is possible to 'fix' this, though fix doesn't really accurately describe the solution. Basically, you need to re-layout the UI of the whole app. For a complex app like Rawr, with tons of custom UI work, that's a sizable undertaking. The bottom line is that Windows' 'DPI' setting isn't a dpi setting at all; rather it's scalar on some UI elements like fonts, but not all, and is a seriously flawed design, leaving only the most basic, high profile, and built-in programs to support it.

We strongly suggest that you fix your DPI settings, by going to Display Settings > Advanced > DPI, and setting it to Normal. Not just for using Rawr, but for using anything.