Site Advertising

Topics: Off-Topic
Jun 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM

The next major version of Rawr, v3, will require its own web hosting, in addition to the hosting provided here by CodePlex. That additional hosting isn't free.

However, CodePlex just started offering simple advertisements that you can turn on for your site. I've checked them out and find them pretty small and unintrusive, so I've turned them on, and you'll now notice the small ads on the right side of many of the pages here. The revenue they generate should help offset the web hosting costs we're going to start incurring.

Currently, they're targeted at the typical CodePlex user, ie software developers. We're well aware that 99% of the visitors here are not software developers, so they're working on getting some more WoW-focused advertising content. I've asked that they make sure that they don't show any WoW Terms of Use violating advertisements, so you shouldn't see any gold sellers, account sellers, power levelers, etc. However, if anyone does see any advertisements that they think aren't appropriate, please let me know immediately, and I'll make sure they get taken down. We don't want to exploit our users by feeding them crap like that; we just want to generate some revenue to offset the hosting costs, and do it in a non-intrusive, WoW-friendly way.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about any of this.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:07 AM
Edited Jun 15, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Looks like we're starting to get some more relevant advertising: the WotLK Official Strategy Guide from Brady. Joy!