resilience for optimization

Topics: Rawr.Bear, Rawr.ProtPaladin, Rawr.ProtWarr, Rawr.TankDK
Jun 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Is there anyway to just get an additional requirement put in for resilience when running the optimizer. That's all I need. k thanks

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM

What model are you looking to include Resilience?  I know for the purposes of Tanking, resilience is sub-optimal compared to Defense, so it's rare to want to stack Resilience over Defense.  If you're looking for PVP gear comparisions, I'm not sure if that quite fits the purpose of Rawr which I believe focuses mostly on PVE content gear evaluation.  I may be wrong, but I know certainly I've only been looking at PVE content in TankDK.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Resilience actually isn't "sub-optimal" compared to defense if you're just looking to be crit-immune (ie, in a resistance set - if it would take a +16def and a +8def/+12sta gem to get crit-immune in your Frost Resist gear, you can probably get there with just a single +16resil).  Although I agree that having a "minimum" resilience seems a little weird.

Adding resilience to the optimizer (as a developer) should be trivial and have no negative impace besides potentially bloating the optimizable stats list.

I do think that the optimizer is great as a stand-alone feature of Rawr, and can definitely see its merits for doing PvP gear ("I want at least 800resil, and want to maximize my crit, using the following gear/gem/enchant").  Outside of the scope of Rawr?  Maybe, but if it's useful, trivial and without negative impact, I think we should consider it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I forget the exact wording, but in 3.2 isn't Resilience also going to be a damage reduction? 

Is this going to make pvp gear top choices for bears again? :S

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM

If you had remembered the exact wording, you'd see that it only applied to attacks from players.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM

To my knowledge, though, the crit reduction effect of resilience still works in PvE (and you get more crit reduction from a point of resil than you do from a point of def).  Defense will give an equal amount of dodge/parry/block/miss chance, though, whereas resilience will decrease DoT effect damage.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Phew, that's good to know.  I was trying to think how that would work so tanks wouldn't get more from Res than from other reduction sources.

The crit reduction does work in PVE, it just rarely has a purpose since 3.0.  Other tanks get all those other avoidance stats from Def and ferals don't need crit reduction post talents.