Lightweave embroidery vs Greater speed (Mage)

Topics: Rawr.Mage
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM

When I set up a fire build, Rawr shows me that Lightweave embroidery is giving way more dps than Greater speed (23 haste). This seems to contradict various posts I've been reading. If I compare this tailoring enchant vs the dps of other professions (JC, enchanting, leatherworking ... etc), it would seem that tailoring's Lightweave embroidery is a way better dps increase.

Is Lightweave embroidery really better than Greater speed or there is something in the mechanics of Rawr I do not understand ?

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM

I can't speak to the accuracy of the mage model, but just about every cloth DPSer I know loves tailoring for lightweave embroidery.  It's up 33% of the time (15sec, 45sec cooldown) and gives 250SP, which amounts to 83.3 passive spellpower in the best conditions.  If we assume that it's up every 50secs (2 casts at 2.5sec cast time after it falls on average), that makes it worth 75SP.

75SP is budgeted at 64.2 item budget points, 23haste is 23 item budget points.  Net effect of this enchant is ~41 item budget points.

Jewelcrafting gives you an increase of 33.4 item budget points (39 spellpower).  So yes, Lightweave Embroidery is a better DPS increase (about 8 spellpowers worth).  However, you also consider that the best cloak enchant available is not a spellpower enchant, but a haste enchant (which is typically weaker than spellpower), and lightweave embroidery is worth even more.

So to answer your question: yes, the Tailoring-only benefit is better than JC or Enchanting, and even more so for casters than for non-casters

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 8:03 PM

(Anything you read that says Lightweave isn't absolutely amazing is probably outdated, and refering to the old version of it, which was relatively poor, compared to other profession benefits)

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Basically they changed it to a 250 SP proc in 3.1. Before it was a 1000 Holy or Shadow damage proc (I forget which type off the top of my head). In 3.2 that proc is going to be buffed to 295 SP.