Adding Enchants

Topics: Rawr.Base
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Haven't been able to figure out how to add different enchants, nor can I find a post on it. I wanted to add Boar's Speed as an option to IceWalker.

Thanks is advance for any help.

Developer
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:46 PM

If you mean add enchants as in Physically add it to the program where it otherwise isn't there, there's no method to do that.

If you mean select the enchant as available for the optimizer with a Green Diamond and the enchant isn't listed, then the enchant is most likely not relevant to the model so it's not going to show up.

What model is it missing from and for what purpose would you add that as an option. PvP doesn't count as Rawr isn't for PvP.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:21 AM

I guess I meant to add one where it doesn't exist. The enchant that I choose is not available for selection. Many DPSers have recently been switching to Boar's Speed for the mobility boost in a very movment demanding raid atmosphere. IceWalker is nice, but the minor speed boost and stamina is proving better for a hitcapped DPSer. I was looking for a way to add an enchant to RAWR, not just select one. Thanks.

Developer
Sep 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM

If you are already Hit Capped and the 12 Crit isn't really good for you at your gear-set, usually you would swap to Greater Assault (32 AP) rather than Boar's Speed, which gives Stam (useless for DPS) and a very small amount of movement speed which doesn't help at all on fights where you don't move.

Editor
Sep 5, 2009 at 1:09 AM

No no no no NO.

Movement speed is AMAZING for DPS, heals, and tanks alike.  Unless you're a Ret (innate speed boost) or a Kitty (innate speed boost), you would much rather go for a runspeed enchant (8% movement increase) than a "pure stat" enchant.

I'll do a writeup of it soon on my blog, but suffice to say, you should be using a runspeed enchant  as your default enchant for ALMOST EVERY CLASS/SPEC, as a general catch-all.  Almost the only type of fight that you would want to rather use a "pure stat" enchant is a pure tank and spank, with no movement.  Given how there are almost none of those fights in Ulduar or in Coli (you could, if you're a melee or a tank on Vezax, but casters would definitely want TV).

This even counts for casters - I believe the maths were worked out for a mage, showing that if you moved at all for at least 4 secs out of a minute, then runspeed beats out a "pure" enchant in terms of raw damage output.  With time-on-target being even more crucial for tanks and melee, it's a just a very good enchant all around, certainly better than a gem and a half worth of stats.

You would actually not want to use Boar's speed and instead either opt for Tuskarr's Vitality for most players, or if you REALLY want every oomph for a physical DPS, Cat's Swiftness.

----

Regardless, there's an easy way for you to not consider Assault or Icewalker or whatever.  Just mark all buffs as not available, and pretend that you have no enchant.  This should work fine for all casters and physical DPS that are using Tuskarr's.  We would want to model Tuskarr's for tanks, and model Cat's Swiftness for physical DPS.

BTW, Dunwich, which model are you working under?

Coordinator
Sep 5, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Yeah, Boar's Speed should be relevant to every single model. If it's not, that's a bug we need to fix. It's the enchant that should be on every raider's primary pair of boots, unless they have some other talent/effect which increases their run speed and doesn't stack with it (ie, feral swiftness for cats, swift retribution for paladins, etc). The DPS/Healing/Tanking performance gain from movement speed is vastly superior to the gain from any other enchant, if you have to move almost at all in any fight.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM
BrWarner wrote:

Regardless, there's an easy way for you to not consider Assault or Icewalker or whatever.  Just mark all buffs as not available, and pretend that you have no enchant.  This should work fine for all casters and physical DPS that are using Tuskarr's.  We would want to model Tuskarr's for tanks, and model Cat's Swiftness for physical DPS.

BTW, Dunwich, which model are you working under?

Selecting no enchant is what I have started doing.

Sorry about that, I'm working under the Warlock model, which makes Stamina (which I trade for mana) all the more important. And you are correct it is Tuskarr's Vitality that I meant to say, guess I had old enchants on my mind. Since moving to this enchant my time-in DPS has increased dramatically. I'm getting out of the fires faster and repositioning quicker.

I forgot to add that I stole this idea from the guild Ensidia. In almost all of their guides they recommend the speed boost, and in doing a quick armory pull on them and other top raiding guild warlocks I found Tuskarr's Vitality to be the enchant of choice. Now I know why.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM

*thread necro*

Should the DPS bonus to run speed apply also to the Feral Swiftness talent? Currently it appears that Rawr gives no value to the talent at all; if asked, it puts those points into Feral Aggression instead. Is the extra 6% FB damage a viable tradeoff for 30% increased movement?

I recall discussing this thread with Ron, and him explaining to me a rather daunting amount of DPS lost per x amount of time spent running.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Aye, I should model that; the bottom line is that any feral without Feral Swiftness is Doing It Wrong.

May 23, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Yes, please add the end-game enchants for run speed increase. For example, my raiding guild asks almost all classes to put Tuskarr's Vitality on their boots. It is very useful... and so currently I am not selecting any enchant for boots, since you don't have the one I am required to use.

Coordinator
May 23, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Not sure what you're asking, LaCavalier. All models should (do?) support Tuskarr's Vitality. 

May 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Unfortunatly that's not the case, I know that at least the moonkin model doesnt offer movement speed boot enchants (despite a recent commit stating it was added).

Developer
May 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Unless you see a yellow Release commit after the commit with the fix it's not released.

May 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM
Actually I complile my own as I add patches to the moonkin and tree models that are not in release, but regardless the commit I'm talking about pre-dates 2.3.16.