ProtWar: Optimising with hit/exp constraints prefers dual wielding.

Topics: Rawr.Base.Optimizer, Rawr.ProtWarr
Oct 10, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Am finding a strange problem with the optimiser. Running a plain optimise on my gear works out roughly as I'd expect. However, after I tried added constraints in the optimising tool of low chances to miss and dodge (i.e. trying to keep to hit and expertise caps), it has an annoying tendancy to prefer to dual wield Titanguard instead of wielding a shield. I would have thought always using shields was pretty much a given. I can't see an option anywhere to force this behaviour.

Was using % miss <=0,

% to be dodged <= 0

(although values of 0.5 also did the same thing).

Okay, so my shield is slightly outdated... but until I find an upgrade, I'd rather keep hold of it!

Current numbers it is showing me:

With a hit rating of 205 (+6.25% extra hit), it lists me missing with 10.09% of my attacks. It seems to be incurring a dual wield hit penalty from somewhere. Equipping a second weapon in that slot doesn't drop the % of missed attacks.

Developer
Oct 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Edited Oct 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM

The problem with constraints in the optimizer is that until they are met, the primary sort order is ignored. Therefore, if the only way to meet the criteria is to DW, then that's what it will try to do.

So, it's probably more to do with the fact that you don't quite have enough gear available to meet your criteria without potentially using your off-hand weapon to make up the difference.