Add a Critique panel?

Topics: Rawr.Base
Oct 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Some of this is similar to optimizer warnings, but it might be valuable to have a panel that critique's the current toon's gear and Rawr settings:

Examples:

You aren't using all your glyph slots (or you have major glyphs not contributing to your score). (Moonkin, load from character profiler erases glyphs)

No shoulder enchants are marked as available.

You have available pants (or gem) that would increase your score by 32.8 over your current pants (gem in hand slot).

You want to bear tank with no points in SotF?

Toon is massively short on mana.  Check your buffs or fight options.

Rawr sees no benefit from currently equipped Manual of Awesome Good Looks

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I do like the idea as a person who tries to help others.  And I do think that major "warnings" would help us with all of our FAQs, like "why is it telling me to gem Int?" when you don't have replenishment.

Things that I think would make the most sense on a Rawr-wide setting:

• No glyphs checked (or not enough glyphs checked).  Repeat for item slots and enchant slots
  • Unspent Talent Points
  • Gem/Item equipped but not marked as available (ie, for people who don't have their JC gems marked as available or in a gem template for that item)

Other things are more at the model level, and can likely be displayed in the Stats Results panel:

• Missing key talents (especially when logic is assuming you have them; for instance, DPSWarr assumes you have Whirlwind glyphed for its rotation; if you don't have that glyph, your results will be wrong)
  • Major codepath followed (like running out of mana vs not)
I'm not a fan of things like checking for direct upgrades, or questioning decisions made that don't inherently rely on the model's calculations (like not having the +5% crit talent for a DPS warrior).  Checking for upgrades is something that the optimizer does.  Telling people how to spec is not something Rawr is in the nature of doing.
From a UI perspective, I don't know if a panel is the easiest thing to implement, but a suppressible Warning message box or a string in the display calculations should be easy.
Developer
Oct 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

This reminds me of an Add-On I used to use, I think it was called "Scrub". It would tell me if there were variances beyond the allowed variances for a spec, like for a Fury Warrior, if I didn't have Cruelty 5/5 it would state a warning, but for an Arms build Weapon Mastery vs Improved Execute would be allowed.