Spirit for Pallys

Topics: Rawr.Healadin, Rawr.Retribution
Oct 28, 2009 at 8:36 AM

I've followed the discussions on excluding spirit items from the Pally lists and now having the check boxes so we can choose whether they are visible or not.   What I was wondering was the reasoning for this?   I can understand that spirit is a very poor stat for a pally due to them having no talents that boost it and also the fact that a pally is usually chain casting spells and so aren't out of the 5 sec rule for very much of the fight, but it still seems a little unusual for a tool such as Rawr, which tries to model everything so thoroughly to give it a value of zero.     Even something like the leg enchants where you have to choose between SP/Spi and SP/Stam.  At decent gear levels, pallys aren't short on stam, so surely the SP/Spi patch would be a stronger patch option no matter how small the benefit of spirit is.

This isn't a criticism or request for it to be changed - I was just interested in the thinking behind the current implementation (also, there may be something about Pallys I don't know!).  The tick box is much appreciated though - at my Pallys poor gear level, there are many, many spirit items that are massive upgrades for me (such as in 5man ToC etc), so it has been very useful.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM

It doesn't give it a value of zero, it just doesn't find it relevant. Same way we try to hide spellpower gear for rogues, even if it happens to have a bunch of crit and haste. The idea being that if it has Spirit on it, a pally probably shouldn't be taking it, unless nobody else wants it. So, we have that checkbox instead.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Yeah, as I said, I understand the reason behind hiding the spirit items but am happy we have the checkbox as there is a big difference between SP items for rogues & spirit items for Pallys :)

Spirit is apparently not valued at all by the Pally model.   The SP/Spirit leg patch has the exact same value as the SP/Stam leg patch.   In fact, the Spirit doesn't even appear on the tooltip, so I assume that it is just totally excluded  from any calculations at all - which just seems a little strange to me.    Granted, I haven't done any research to examine just how bad or useless spirit is to a Pally - perhaps it is only 1 or 2 ticks of OO5sR regen in a whole fight or something stupidly small like that - it just seemed a little strange to be ignored by any caster class.

Once again, please understand I don't in anyway want the model changed or anything like that - I just found it a little unusal.

Editor
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:55 AM

When are you using the OO5SR, according to the fight variables?  If you're not, then the value of Spirit is 0.  and realistically, the value of Spirit for a Healadin is essentially 0, as far as I'm aware.  Any Spirit on your gear is wholly wasted itemization, and only really better for you if you're getting a massive boost in Item Level by upgrading.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM

No matter which option in the settings you change, the value of the patches remains the same.    The default on the "activity" slider (which I assume is time spent casting) is 85%, but changing it doesn't affect anything.   Increasing the length of the fight and removing replenishment gives Mp5 a value but not Spirit even with the activity set low - Of course this is in the all too often pointed out "dodgy" relative stat values :)

If  the healadin model does incorporate Spirit in any way, I can't see it.   It just seems to pretend it doesn't exist in the game (other than to be able to filter out items with it on).   

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 5:27 AM

I doubt it does. If a healadin gains more than 0 mana from spirit during a fight, they're doing it wrong.