Elemental shaman DPS

Topics: Rawr.Elemental
Nov 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2009 at 9:45 PM

`

I hit 80 on my elemental shaman a month or so ago, have done some raiding with my guild and stuff, gearscore's at about 4400 now, i started using rawr the other day and i only have the buffs that i can give myself without heroism, now i went to a test dummy in ironforge(tried on both the ?? and the level 80 one) and started DPSing using the rotation that rawr suggested and i was expecting to be putting out about 4490 DPS because in rawr it says "simulation        4490 DPS".....i got there and i could only push it up to about 3100 without heroism, can someone explain this to me?

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:38 PM

I've had a similar experience which I recently posted in a thread: Burst vs. Sustained DPS.

My $.02:

The elemental shaman code base does not seem to be as far along in development as some of the other modules. I believe that a new developer has recently joined the Rawr team and has been working on the Shaman code bases, but I imagine it will take them some time. A few impacts:

1. The burst vs. sustained DPS slider seems to be "junk" (i.e. provides no useful data). I have mine slid over to 100% burst so make the #s easier to read

2. DPS/simulation calculations do not include some of the "real life" modifiers that some of the other modules provide. Latency can have a substantial impact on DPS especially when you have higher amounts of haste. Some of the modules are even starting to incorporate encounter specific calculations (i.e % of time moving). This of course has no relevancy for training dummies, but is relevant for real world usage

3. I am personally skeptical of the algorithm/math/etc from the simulation DPS (I think that the numbers are high above and beyond what is listed above, but I have no hard evidence of this.. just my opinion ... so please take that as such!)

One other sanity check I'd ask of you is:

Are you simulation #s based upon buffs that were not present for you when using the training dummy?