Double Pot Trick buff error

Topics: Rawr.Base.Buffs
Nov 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

The duration for a double pot trick shows 1 second less duration then the single pot use.  It should be approximately 5-10 seconds (minimum 5 seconds to be able to use a potion again) less then the length of the two potions' durations.

Versions where I've observed the error:  2.2.21, 2.2.24, 2.2.27

Steps to reproduce:

Start Rawr

Go to the Buffs tab

Scroll down to the potions area

Check the 'double pot trick' durations

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2009 at 4:01 AM

A) http://rawr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=PostingGuidelines&referringTitle=Documentation

B) ...huh? "It should be approximately 5-10 seconds (minimum 5 seconds to be able to use a potion again) less then the length of the two potions' durations." What were you trying to say? That doesn't make any sense...

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:00 PM
Astrylian wrote:

A) http://rawr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=PostingGuidelines&referringTitle=Documentation

B) ...huh? "It should be approximately 5-10 seconds (minimum 5 seconds to be able to use a potion again) less then the length of the two potions' durations." What were you trying to say? That doesn't make any sense...

A)  I'm using the format for a bug report.  If this is only the format for bug reports via e-mail or the program itself, I apologize, and will try to submit it that way.

B)  A double potion trick is where you use a potion a minimum of 5 seconds before entering combat, thus allowing you to use another after the general potion cooldown is finished.  So, for example, I could use an Indestructible Armor Potion as a Blood DK with a DPS spec, granting me armour, and via a talent, AP, for the next 120 seconds, then pull 6 seconds later, gaining a free additional 114 seconds of bonus AP, then two minutes later, use a Potion of Speed.  The duration varies according to how you use it, but based on the idea that your raid leader might coordinate this ~5-10 seconds before pulling, I suggested using double the potion duration minus 5-10 seconds (depending on what is thought of as an appropriate amount of time).

Currently, the 'double pot trick' in rawr displays a duration of 1 second less then the duration of using a single potion, thus making it a bug, or an unintended error. I wish you luck with fixing the error.

Developer
Dec 2, 2009 at 6:53 PM

A) Right format, wrong place. You should be posting bugs in the Issue Tracker (see the top of this page, next to the Green Discussions button).

B) Where are you getting this 5 sec from? You can pop the pot then immediately start the fight, don't use another until you are ready.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I agree that 1sec is probably too short, and that 5secs is probably too long.  Even you pop it 1s before entering combat, you won't be in position to start fighting for at least another 2secs (even with Charge).  Unless you're the tank, in which case 1s is doable.

Honestly, I'm not sure we should have double-potting in the buff section.  It should probably be an option in the model.  Come Rawr3 we can tie it into the boss handler and movements, if boss handler will support "movement at start of fight".

Developer
Dec 2, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I'd rather not try to over-complicate it by tying it into other stuff like the boss handler. I can see changing it to 2 sec from 1 but not 5 as that would give the double-pots a rather serious kick (for most of them, that's 1/3 of their uptime).

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2009 at 6:18 AM

I think Sage may be thinking that the 'double pot trick' potion buff doesn't stack with the normal potion buff, when it does. If it's a 2min potion, and you have both checked, you're getting 239sec of uptime.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Except Rawr shows 119 seconds of uptime for the double pot trick.  Really don't know how to say this clearer.  I'll toss this in the issue tracker, thanks.

Developer
Dec 15, 2009 at 7:46 AM

right, the 120 from the primary and another 119 from teh double, totaling 239