Optimize Without Regemming

Topics: Rawr.Base.Optimizer
Nov 29, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Hello,

I am a mage, FB/TtW and Arcane as dual specs, and Rawr has been invaluable, but I have a question.

Is there a way for Rawr to optimize based on available equipment but make it so regemming isn't a possibility?

Thanks!

Developer
Nov 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM

RTFM

http://rawr.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=GearOptimization&referringTitle=Documentation

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM

I don't know what "RTFM" means.

I tried using the blue diamond on the specific gemmings/enchants I have and leaving grey the versions of the item I don't want, but it keeps including the blanked-out versions in the optimized set. 

For example, I am using Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers in my main set, and want to see the best equipment set possible for a Frostfire offset.  I want to fill the one slot in the bracers with a +23 spellpower, and I want to leave it that way, so I put a blue diamond next to that, and leave an empty/grey diamond next to the version of Bejeweled Wizard's Bracers that shows a spellpower/spirit gem.  However, when I optimize, it still insists on regemming that item.

Any clarification on this would be appreciated.  I've read through the guides, and am not sure what I am misunderstanding.

Thank you.

Developer
Nov 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Sigh. Why don't people who post this sort of stuff understand that Google will give you the answers to questions like what does RTFM mean.

You can see what it means here http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RTFM

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I suppose I understand your frustration, especially as people in your position probably see comparable questions a fair bit.  I came here because I'd already R'd TFM before coming to post this problem and was clearly missing something.  I tried playing around with the blue diamond, with gem templates, with enforcing gem requirements, etc., and hadn't found what I was looking for.

To quote the part of TFM that I've been having difficulty with, from "Finding Gear Sets for Different Situations" (which describes what I'm trying to do perfectly):

"Main difference in this case is that we generally do not change gems/enchants on our items between fights, so in this case we want to find the best solutions using very specific items. Instead of marking items with green diamonds we mark just the specific gemmings we have with a blue diamond and restricting enchants on that item to just the enchant that your item currently has. If you have more of the same item you can specify this by marking several enchants as available or marking several gemmings with blue diamond."

Following this, I only marked one specific gemming/enchanting set with the blue diamond, and unmarked other options for that particular piece, but the Optimizer still includes the unmarked versions in its recommended sets. 

Again, any help is welcome, even if it includes cute little links like lmgtfy.com or whatever else you want.  I'm sure I'll kick myself in the head once I see what in TFM I'm missing, misreading, or misunderstanding.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Let me apologize for the devs... sometimes I think they drink too much, or not enough, or not exactly the right amount in any case...

When you go to optimize are you checking the "Override Regem" or "Override Reenchant" options? Checking these will make the optimizer ignore the restrictions placed with the blue diamonds.

~Droid

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I have not been marking "Override Regem".  The thing is, I don't want to ignore the restrictions - I want to enforce them.  I'd like the optimizer to ONLY include the version of those bracers that is gemmed with +23 spellpower and enchanted with +30 spellpower (since I don't want to regem/reenchant between specs).  Reading through the manual and the tooltips in Rawr led me to believe that marking that specific gem/enchant combo with a blue diamond would prevent the Optimizer from using any versions of the item gemmed differently from that specific combination, and that checking "Override Regem" goes around those restrictions.  However, I am leaving the blue diamond in, not checking the "Override" boxes, but it still seems I need to tweak some other setting to enforce the restriction.

Developer
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Are any versions other than the one you want to keep marked in any way? If so then the optimiser has them as available and may make use of them. If you don't want alternate versions of an item used you need to make sure that any alternates are not marked at all.

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2009 at 8:29 PM

If you're absolutely sure you're following the instructions and it's not doing what it's supposed to do open a new issue with attached character file where this happens and tell us exactly what to do to reproduce your problem, what you get and what you're expecting to get. Without that it's impossible to tell what you could be doing wrong or if there is possibly a bug in some strange case.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:25 AM

I double-checked everything when I got home from work, and Droidicus hit it right on the head.  The override box is normally greyed out, and I didn't see that when I marked an item with a blue diamond, it automatically became checked. 

Thank you all greatly for your help.  Keep up the kickass work on an invaluable tool.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM
Edited Dec 30, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Sorry double post

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM
Edited Dec 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM

I would also like to have it so that I can make a specific item always keep the gems that it has. Sort of lock it from being regemmed. I want the gems available for the other pieces so cannot uncheck the gems or they will not be available for the other items. For example - I have a Sash of Ancient Power that has 3 gems - 1 Purified Dreadstone - 1 Runed Stormjewel - and 1 Runed Cardinal Ruby. The optimizer wants to change the Runed Stormjewel to a Runed Cardinal Ruby even though they have the same stats. I would like to lock that from regemming as it causes frustration everytime I run the optimizer.

BTW - Thanks very much for a tool I use everytime I logon to World Of Warcraft!

Developer
Dec 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Please read the Documentation, you can already do this.