Ubuntu 9.10 Downgrading to mono 2.2

Topics: Off-Topic
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Hi everyone,

After having a look through the discussion topics using "downgrade mono", "ubuntu 9.10", "ubuntu mono" and a few other search keys I didn't quite find a solution to my problem. I apologize if I overlooked a relevant discussion thread and would deeply appreciate to be redirected there if it exists.

I've recently installed the newest version of Ubuntu (9.10 karmic koala) which unfortunately comes with the 2.4 version of Mono. In order to run rawr normally I have been trying to downgrade mono to 2.2. Usually, when I am confronted to this sort od issue, I try the "apt-cache showpkg" command to see if any previous versions of a software are available in the repositories.

Alas, it would appear that only the 2.4.2.3 version of mono is available, which basically means I am screwed if I want to force a simple downgrade to 2.2 using synaptic.

Would someone perhaps know of a different solution to my problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:54 AM

If you can compile Rawr from source, I *think* there may be a fix in since the last time we made a release... Or perhaps there's a patch on the Patches page for it; one of the two. I know there was a patch for mono 2.4 workaround, not sure if we applied it yet.

Developer
Dec 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM

The patch was supplied by a user familiar enough with code to correct the primary crashing issue on his own box. He gave it to us apparently some months after doing it :P

I applied the patch and he compiled the code afterwards, remarking back to us that there was no longer a crash.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Thank you both for your answers.

On your suggession, I have compiled the latest source with MonoDevelop.

Unlike with the pre-compiled release (which, I realise, is a couple of days older than the patch you were talking about), rawr does no longer crash on start-up.

However I am faced this time with another issue: almost all the text in the program does not display (the only exceptions would be tab titles and input text fields). I hope this is a trivial issue, but I do not know what could be causing it or how to solve it. Any ideas ?

Anyway, thanks for your help so far.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Haven't heard of that one. :(

(And can't think of what it could be)

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Heh. Didn't realize you guys were interested in Mono support until recently. :P :)

About the text thing, if you're using an Intel video card, there's a bug in the driver that does exactly what you're describing. It's fixed in xf86-video-intel-2.9.1. Maybe Ubuntu hasn't put that in their package manager yet? I think it depends on a certain revision of X.org though, so maybe that's why.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Yes, after some research I found that it is common problem in mono with Ubuntu 9.10. After following the instructions I found on this site, everything is in order again. Thanks for your help.