Props guys

Topics: Off-Topic
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Guys,

I really love the idea and the program, I hate the UI, it is so darn complicated, you need a Master in Sciences to understand it.

You'd mind swapping the UI to a nice and easy WPF application ?

I'd love 2 help, drop me a line ;)

All the best 

Alex 

Developer
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Uhh, just because the back end changes, doesn't mean the UI would be any harder/easier to use. We'd still have to have all the buttons and stuff that are in there now for the program to function.

Developer
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

While I agree there's alot going on, I'm not sure what the problem->solution path is that you propose.  As Jothay mentions, just because we change the technology, doesn't mean the UI would look much different.  You mention that it's complicated, how do you propose we make it less complicated?  What do you mean exactly by complicated?

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Besides, Rawr3 already is in WPF.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Jothay wrote:

Uhh, just because the back end changes, doesn't mean the UI would be any harder/easier to use. We'd still have to have all the buttons and stuff that are in there now for the program to function.

You are missing the point, I never said anything about back end changes.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Shazear wrote:

While I agree there's alot going on, I'm not sure what the problem->solution path is that you propose.  As Jothay mentions, just because we change the technology, doesn't mean the UI would look much different.  You mention that it's complicated, how do you propose we make it less complicated?  What do you mean exactly by complicated?

It would be less complicated if you could ascertain it's functuality at a glance, make it more intuitive.

It is true that a simple port to WPF would not change anything, but it would give you an opportunity to create intuitive UI components in minutes, that would take hours in WinForms, if possible at all.

I can click a lot and do a lot in Rawr, but I'm never sure what I see, since there is little description.

MAC OSX and Redhat use both more or or less the same backend (POSIX, UNIX ... ),  the Kernel may be different, but it's function is the same, it operates in the same fashion, the backend is similar

and yet the MAC OSX UI is easy to use even for beginners while the Redhat UI is, well ... primal, unintuative and unmanagable for beginners ...

It's not about what is shown, but merely how it's shown.

It would help a lot if there was some hints and comments about what is shown when a buttons is pressed, and why I should press it.

For instance, when pressing optimize DPS, some results are logical, Rawr shows me a better weapon in my offhand, unfortunately some slots are empty, or didn't change at all although much better items are available.

Perhaps it's just me, but there are lots of functions which provide me with results I just do not understand :(

Hope this makes sense.

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM

By 'back end', Jothay meant the UI framework (Winforms vs WPF). Porting to WPF won't improve usability, but it will allow for more easier improvement of the usability, which is exactly what we've been doing for Rawr3, which already is Silverlight/WPF. In fact, your example, the optimizer results, has already been shown off in this forum, of its redesign for Rawr3.