Change to Emblem of Triumph filter?

Topics: Rawr.Base.ItemFilters
Dec 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I've posted this as a discussion rather than an issue because it pertains more to the definition of what should be filtered rather than a filter not working. If this was wrong I apologize.

The items that require a Trophy of the Crusade show up in the Emblems of Triumph filter because they require triumphs and that's all the default filter checks for. I consider the Trophy of the Crusade to be more of an armor token than an emblem piece, simply because it requires the character to be actively raiding and to win a drop, whereas Triumphs can be guaranteed to be obtained through five-mans.

My question is: Is this something that I am alone on, or is there any consensus as to what these items should appear under. Also, I've changed my filter to match only Triumph only pieces by simply adding (?!(.*)) to the end of the default, ensuring that pieces that have anything written in the source after Emblem of Triumph should be discarded from the filter. Is there a better way to do that. As an aside, why is that regex even working, as I've just noticed I have no closing bracket on the Emblem of Triumph?

EDIT: I've just noticed that in fact my regex change hasn't worked, as I was just seeing gear I already have.

Developer
Dec 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Since I only just made that change for multiple token cost, our 'Filters Guy' MTRazeR hasn't had a chance to post an updated version of the Filters that handles this.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Oh alright, good to know that it will be changed in an upcoming release.

On a related note for custom filters: Which version of the source text does the filter look at? What I mean, if you look at an item with multiple lines in the source field, it states "Purchasable with 45 [Emblem of Triumph] \n
Purchasable with 1 [Trophy of the Crusade]" (\n is inferred, correct me if I'm wrong) whereas the tooltip text shortens this to "Purchasable with 45 [Emblem of Triumph] and 1 [Trophy of the Crusade]" Which of these is the filter applied to? I presume it's the actual field but I'd like to be sure.

Developer
Dec 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Right now it's reading them separately (not as the " and " or the "\n" examples you provide imply).

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM

How does the item filter decide whether or not to show something? It looks like now it shows an item if any of it's sources are matched.

This is a good thing to take into account items that drop from multiple bosses (Like several Naxx-25 items) or can be purchased from multiple vendors (Like PvP gear from Honor, Rating/Points or Emblems). However, it doesn't work for items that have more than 1 simultaneous cost.

It looks like the ItemSource.xml format needs to change a little bit to take these situations into account. I propose the item sources continue to be separated, but all costs should be contained in the same location. Also, items that cost more than 1 type of currency simultaneously should be concatenated ("75 Emblems of Triumph & 1 Trophy of the Crusade" or "1000 Honor Points & 500 Arena Points") at the time of filtering for regex purposes.

Here's my idea of what the XML format could look like:

<ArrayOfItemLocation>
	<ItemLocation xsi:type="VendorItem">
		<VendorName>Arena Lady Person</VendorName>
		<VendorArea>Dalaran</VendorArea>
		<Cost>
			<Token>Arena Points</Token>
			<Count>500</Count>
		</Cost>
		<Cost>
			<Token>Honor Points</Token>
			<Count>15000</Count>
		</Cost>
	</ItemLocation>
	<ItemLocation xsi:type="VendorItem">
		<VendorName>Vendor Lady Person</VendorName>
		<VendorArea>Dalaran</VendorArea>
		<Cost>
			<Token>Emblem of Triumph</Token>
			<Count>50</Count>
		</Cost>
	</ItemLocation>
	<ItemLocation xsi:type="StaticDrop">
		<Area>Vault of Free Stuff (10)</Area>
		<Heroic>false</Heroic>
		<Boss>Candavon the Pinata Watcher</Boss>
	</ItemLocation>
</ArrayOfItemLocation>

Thoughts?

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM
Jothay wrote:

Right now it's reading them separately (not as the " and " or the "\n" examples you provide imply).

Ah well that explains why my regex changes weren't working. Guess I'll be sticking with my non-additive filter for the current version. Thanks again.

Developer
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:38 PM

ZD, i would love to see it work that way and I'm doing some verification testing now to see if my changes to multiple "and" costs will allow me to migrate in multiple "or" costs too.