Bear Mitigation question

Topics: Rawr.Bear
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Hi,

Been exploring RAWR and decided to use it to upgrade my Bear gear.  I've been previously stacking STAM gems everywhere I can, and now with RAWR I'm switching to AGI over STAM (slowly).  Anyway, I'm in the process of upgrading my gear and came across a belt upgrade suggested by RAWR that has me puzzled.  I'm currently wearing 'Sharp-Barbed Leather Belt' and looking at the list with filters set to gear I can expect to get, I notice that 'Belt of the Twilight Assassin' is listed above 'Relentless Gladiator's Belt of Triumph', yet to my unskilled eye that belt should provide better mitigation than the Assassin belt.  It both has a built in socket, which will give +20 more AGI and even starts with more AGI.  Why would this belt be rated lower for mitigation than the Assassin belt?

Wowhead comparison link here http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=41833;45829.

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of how RAWR weights its items so I can make informed decisions...

Thanks!

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:57 AM

Expertise, Hit, and AP. They all improve Savage Defense. But more importantly, Expertise reduces parry hastes, thus reducing the damage you take. If you're fighting a boss that doesn't parry haste, uncheck that box on the Options tab.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:59 AM
Edited Feb 6, 2010 at 5:03 AM

Ah ha!  I knew there was a reason -- forgot all about Savage Def... I'll have to look up Parry Haste - thats a new term.

Ok, so I now know more about Parry Haste - if I'm mainly tanking 5 mans, then this is something I need to turn off, right?

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:36 AM

I'm not sure if 5man bosses parry haste or not. Regardless, the extra threat will probably be more valuable in 5mans anyway.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Astrylian wrote:

I'm not sure if 5man bosses parry haste or not. Regardless, the extra threat will probably be more valuable in 5mans anyway.

5 man bosses afaik do have a chance to parry haste.  Most hard-normal-hitting raid bosses do not [Thorim and Koralon for example].  Also, hit/Expertise cap for 5 mans is minimal compared to Raids, since there's a smaller level difference.  If you only tank 5 mans, 22 expertise is plenty.  If you tank 10/25 mans, go for 26 minimum and make sure you never beat 56 [but don't gear heavily towards expertise past 26].  Hit, take it where you can but don't stress over it; a miss is rarely a wipe [except taunts, gogo glyphs].  For raiding MT, gear for survival > all.  For Heroics, gear Threat>All+100kSurvival [at least, those were the settings I use].

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=6&t=25841&rb_v=viewtopic

It looks like the parry-haste discussion will be changing to a new thread soon if it hasn't already, but that covers the theory.