Casting Hit Cap & Optimizer

Topics: Rawr.Warlock
Feb 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I've noticed what appears to be an issue with the optimizer and the "additional requirements" field.  However, this may also be a problem with me, or be completely unrelated, or something else!  The long and short of it is this: I select my gear, gems, enchants, and so forth, and then run the Optimizer, with "Overall Rating" as the primary optimization, and "Miss Chance <= 0.0" as the only "additional requirement."  Consistently, the calculated gear is below the soft hit cap -- sometimes by over a hundred points.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this functionality not supported/broken/etc.?

(Yes, this does apply to a Warlock.  I realize this might introduce complications, but while I'm aware inaccuracies might show up in the Optimizer, I haven't seen anything to suggest that stat optimization doesn't work.)

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Pure casters don't have soft hit caps.  Melee do, because some abilities are spells, some are white attacks and some are special attacks; all casters use the same hit% [17%] to aim for.

First thing to check, are you considering the buffs tab?  If you have Misery or IFF checked, it will aim for 14% hit [roughly 368].  If you are Affliction or otherwise using Suppression, that would also account for it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:02 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Yep, Affliction, with 3/3 Suppression.  That's why I used the term 'soft cap,' since Suppression is going to be making up some of that difference.  However, it's generating optimized gear/gem/enchant specs (with all relevant gems and enchants marked as available) with a hit rating of around 240, rather than the target 368.  This is coming from the pre-existing gear, which had a hit rating of 310.

The only buffs I leave checked are Fel Armor, Grand Spellstone, and Fel Intelligence (+Improved Felhunter).  None of those affect hit, as far as I know, so the Optimizer should be trying to shoot for 368...and yet is generating gear with substantially below cap hit rating.

Edit: Have changed the thread title to clear up the 'soft' confusion.