Rawr 2.3.10 mage optimizations

Topics: Rawr.Mage
Feb 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I saw in the patch notes for Rawr 2.3.10 that it had the new PTR patch updates added.  However, poking through Rawr, I cannot find that this is the case as yet.  Perhaps I'm missing a toggle elsewhere.

Brain Freeze now allows instant frostfire bolt (instead of only fireball) in addition to fireball for the proc.  Since frostfire bolt benefits from talents in the frost tree more than fireball does, it would seemingly make sense to add all of the ffb combos as a test for dps.  Example:  FoF shatter combo:  Frostfire bolt + Ice Lance.  I don't project that this is a massive dps improvement, but I do believe it will be a couple hundred dps more overall.

I've been playing with a spec in Rawr that looks nice, but would be nicer to test once Rawr's got the updated frostbolt coefficients as well as the FFB/FoF/BF combos modeled.

Relevant patch notes:

Frostbolt: Spell power scaling on this spell has been increased by approximately 5%.

• Brain Freeze: This talent now allows your next Fireball or Frostfire Bolt to be instant and cost no mana. There is a small internal cooldown to keep the Frostfire Bolt from immediately triggering Brain Freeze again.

And the spec in question would be: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage#_uiDeurT5919_J,MQ6-OH,11403

Am I missing something or was that not the update mentioned in Rawr's 2.3.10 release notes?

(Edit to fix URL for spec/glyphs)

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You have to turn it on using the PTR Mode checkbox on the options pane.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Perfect, thank you. I spent 10 minutes looking everywhere but there.  Done. :)

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Am I correct in assuming that the frostfire bolt in FoF/BF hasn't yet been modeled with the changes?  I definitely show the increase in damage due to the improved frostbolt coefficients.  But, it doesn't appear FFB is in the combos or final dps modeling.  I would expect roughly a 100-300 dps improvement-ish but would like to see final confirmation. :)

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It was partially implemented into this patch but the full implementation wasn't released until JUST after the release.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Thanks.  I'll wait till Rawr is ≥ 2.3.11