Restricting Gem choices in the optimizer

Topics: Rawr.Base.Items, Rawr.Base.Optimizer
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find the topic if so.

I want to creat a build optimized for 5-mans (so few or no buffs, and heavy on mana regen).  I want to calculate talents and gear choices, but enforce gem restrictions that will prevent it from gemming for mp5 (I have a second spec reserved for 5man, but dont want to regem my gear).  I can't figure out a way to restrict the gem choices the optimizer is using.  I've gone in to Slot/Gems and only checked as available the gems I want it to use, and I tried to uncheck all the gemming templates that use mp5 gems (although my understanding was that the optimizer doesn't use the gemming templates).  Yet, the optimizer insists on putting mp5 gems onto the gear.

Is there something I'm missing?  I thought the optimizer would only use gems marked as available (what else is marking things as available for if not that?), but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Any other way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

Developer
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM

If it's still using them then you are missing *something* *somewhere*. To enforce the Optimizer to not use the Gemming Templates as avaiable gems, got to Tools > Options... > Optimizer Settings and uncheck 'Consider gems in enabled gemming templates to be available'

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Thanks, Jothay, that was exactly the option I was looking for.

Editor
Mar 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM

A better solution for this would probably be to restrict the fight length to, say, 90 seconds, or 60 seconds, or whatever.  Forcing no regen gems is one way, but it's a hackish way of going about it, and if you do not set the profile as you expect to be buffed, there is bound to be some other inconsistencies.  Just my two cents.  :)

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM

The problem is that forcing the fight length to 90 seconds doesn't optimize for what I want, because it would maximize damage over that short period, while what I want is to be able to go as long as possible without drinking/viper.  Setting a short fight length would avoid using mana gems, but would also avoid any talents/gear that optimize for mana conservation.  (e.g. it wouldn't put points in efficiency)

The exact thing I want to be able to do is to specify the gems I currently have in all my gear (including the pieces I'm not currently wearing, but have available), and then I want to get the optimizer to first strive for maximum time to fight without using viper, and than maximize damage within that constraint.  Specifying a long fight (or no viper, which is what I ended up doing), but not allowing any int/mana gems is pretty close to what I want.

I'm open to suggestions though, if you have a better way to achieve what I'm after here (what I have now works pretty well, though, if I have some external mana replenishment, like jow, or a mana totem I can usually get thru a 5 man with no drinking/viper).  This may sound like a little odd thing to optimize for, but in most 5 mans, with my normal 25-man spec, I do significantly more damage than the others, but constantly have to manage mana, so i'm happy to trade some damage capability for avoiding mana management.   It also helps with tanks who are well geared and don't want to stop and wait for people to drink, but just want to run through as fast as possible.