ProtWarr: Question about cooldowns.

Topics: Rawr.ProtWarr
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I've been using ProtWarr for several months now, and I've always wondered: why are Shield Block and Shield Wall not modeled?

I would think it would be important to consider that

damage could be avoided through the use of Shield Block alone, and all damage throughout a fight can be reduced by a factor of

through the use of Shield Wall. This kind of modeling could give value to talents and bonuses that affect these abilities. What is the reason for leaving them out completely?

I can understand Last Stand/Enraged Regen being left out, since those are a little weird and depend on healing too.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Shield Block may be integrated at some point, although its value can swing wildly based on hard or soft-caps on damage dealt.

Shield Wall is unlikely to ever be averaged in. It just doesn't make sense. It is never used on every cooldown as a way to reduce your total damage taken--it is used when you drop low or when you know a specific burst damage source is incoming. Averaging it would simply throw off other calculations by modeling a passive damage reduction that doesn't exist in that sense in realistic raid scenarios. The same goes for Last Stand, as averaging it as health over X period of time would simply throw off calculations which rely on your health pool.

I will investigate Shield Block again, as it's been on my to-do list and is used in a more cyclic fashion.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

That's what I figured, and it makes sense. Nice to get some clarification. :) Shield Block modeling would still be really cool though if you can get some time to work on it. Maybe with a checkbox to disable it if you want a more "worst case" scenario.

Actually, I just remembered another question I wanted to ask: I'm a bit (read: very) confused about the ranking system options. All this time I've just left it on "Mitigation Scale" set to 1.0 and ranked gear on the overall value. Over time I've been dropping the threat value (down to 0.5 now) since my threat is just crazy-sick. Is this the correct way to use this model? I'm assuming so, as so far it's been working pretty well. I generate 2-3 times as much threat as any of our other tanks and I get good reviews from healers all the time.

What are some examples where I would change these settings? I'm not really sure what they do or what they are for. Note that I'm talking about the "Ranking System" options, the others are pretty self-explanatory. (except maybe the "Attacker Stats" thing, but I managed to figure that one out.)

If I can get it explained to me, I'd be happy to write a documentation page for the Wiki. ^^

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Yeah, that is not a bad way to be looking at ranking. Frankly, a lot of tanks have been simply looking at EH (Survival) perhaps with a low Mitigation rate and setting Threat to 0, in my experience, and just making sure the TPS on the main page (or when optimizing) doesn't drop below a certian threshold--typically around 9k TPS or so.

Warriors single-target threat is so insanely high after the last couple patches that it is hardly a consideration other than trying to get a somewhat decent amount of Expertise.