BlizzCon Question about Hunter Gear Selections

Topics: Rawr.Hunter
Developer
Oct 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM

This question was asked to me by someone while I was at an after-party for BlizzCon. I felt it bared repeating here so that others could find the answer too.

Question: Why is it that with some models, I can be selecting gear where the order doesn't really make any sense then suddenly it all gets sorted out like it should be?

The Short Answer: Because some models have their DPS/whatever structure tied to having an appropriate weapon equipped.

The Long Answer:
The Hunter model has been designed such that all DPS Calculations are invalidated to 0.00 DPS when you do not have a Ranged Weapon equipped. Why? Because if you aren't shooting something... you aren't doing any damage.

Why not leave Pet DPS to do damage to even without it equipped? For simplicity, Pet DPS is factored heavily by things that are done with Hunter shot rotations and leaving it at zero too prevents me from having to insert several fail-safes I would otherwise have to implement (which cost performance when I don't need them).

DPSWarr is also set up this way, you need to have a Main Hand Weapon equipped before any item will show a DPS value. Fury Warriors do not require an offhand to get DPS Calcs, just the mainhand, though it could be argued that I should make it work that way.

Most other models do not need this practice in effect, such as Mage or ShadowPriest, because your DPS isn't physically dependent on having a weapon equipped.

If I were the owner of models where this would make sense, such as Enhance or ProtWarr, I would probably put these things in them too, but that decision is left up to their respective owners and I wouldn't require them to make this change.

Coordinator
Oct 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM

But Jothay! Warriors can still use their fists to attack with, and even use some specials!

*giggle*

Developer
Oct 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Jothay wrote:

DPSWarr is also set up this way, you need to have a Main Hand Weapon equipped before any item will show a DPS value. Fury Warriors do not require an offhand to get DPS Calcs, just the mainhand, though it could be argued that I should make it work that way.

Most other models do not need this practice in effect, such as Mage or ShadowPriest, because your DPS isn't physically dependent on having a weapon equipped.

If I were the owner of models where this would make sense, such as Enhance or ProtWarr, I would probably put these things in them too, but that decision is left up to their respective owners and I wouldn't require them to make this change.

It does make sense.  I'll look at implementing this fully for Enhance (it's partially done for certain attacks already) when I'm able.  I'll probably go the fury warrior route, and tie it to MH only.

Developer
Oct 28, 2010 at 5:32 PM
Astrylian wrote:

But Jothay! Warriors can still use their fists to attack with, and even use some specials!

*giggle*

I will cutchyoo...

Developer
Oct 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2010 at 1:45 PM

But if you do that.  Then how are we going to find the best set of gear to get the kill-the-bosses-with-your-fists-and-wands-only achievement ?

Editor
Oct 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM

This ACTUALLY might make sense to implement... IF there's a situation where a raid situation disarms but does not disable the character.

On another note... disarmed BT is important, and HOW ELSE WILL WE BE ABLE TO ACCURATELY MODEL PVP SITUATIONS?!?!

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM
OReubens wrote:

But if you do that.  Then how are we going to find the best set of gear to get the kill-the-bosses-with-your-fists-and-wands-only achievement ?

How else are Mages, Warlocks or Priests able to solo Pusillin then. We need a gear set to know how much dps our wand needs in order for us to wand him to death.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

When i played EQ2, me and the other tanks in the guild competed on what was the best progression raid boss we could sucessfuly tank naked.  FUN FUN!.