Mac Version

Topics: Retired
Mar 14, 2008 at 4:25 PM
Is there any development towards making Rawr Mac-compatible? Yes, I know I could just run it in Boot Camp, etc.., but I'd rather not have to go that route.

Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Up until b12 you could run it using CrossOver and Mono, but there seems to be a bug in Mono that blows up under b12. I'm working on getting that worked around. I'd love to have native Mac support (I'm a Mac addict myself), but it's just not possible due to how much additional work it'll be, and the fact that I don't have mac development experience yet. So, running it via Mono is the intended way for now. Use b11 for that, for now, and I'm trying to get the latest version working that way again.
Mar 29, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Any news on that bug? I'd love to use Rawr, but I really don't want to purchase a Windows license, let alone having to deal with actually using Windows.

If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.
Coordinator
Mar 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM
No, I'm bumping my post on the Mono forums now, so far I haven't gotten any help from them :(
Mar 31, 2008 at 1:16 AM
Thanks for staying on top of this.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Mono's got an app to help ensure compatibility. I've run it on Rawr, and run Rawr on Mono for windows, and it works fine. (Latest development build)
Apr 2, 2008 at 7:00 AM
That's great news!

Could you tell me, though, were you got your mono development build for Windows from? I can only find the 1.9 binaries for Windows.
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM
1.9 is what I tried it with.
Apr 3, 2008 at 5:49 AM
I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying Rawr b12.1 now works with the latest development build of Mono. But you probably meant a current snapshot build of Rawr works with Mono 1.9.

Is there a chance you could make such a snapshot build of Rawr available for testing purposes? I got Rawr b11 to work now using CrossOver, but I don't think I'll be able to compile a Windows application in that environment.

Thanks for all your great work.
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2008 at 6:01 AM
Just use b13, it'll be out this weekend, hopefully.
Apr 3, 2008 at 4:01 PM
Sounds great. Thanks again.
Apr 8, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Just wanted to confirm that b13.1 works using CrossOver. It does not run particularly stable but that's ok, because you can just save frequently.

There is one issue though that gives me a little headache. There seems to be some problem with the depth level where windows appear. If you, for instance, click on the Models menu for the first time, it opens fine. But if you open it subsequent times, the menu actually appears behind the main program window (you can tell because it sticks out at the bottom). Also, the mouse-over pop-up windows for the currently equipped items either does not appear at all or is only visible for like 100ms. I also seem to get frequent "GetThreadContext failed" messages when I mouse-over those items.
Interestingly, other tooltips work just fine, like the pop-up windows for the items in the comparison gear list and the tooltips for options.

Say, do you have access to a Mac so you could take a look at this issue if time permits? If you don't have a copy of CrossOver yet I would be willing to buy you one.
Coordinator
Apr 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM
I'll try to talk my wife into letting me use her MacBook Pro. (I'm typing this on a Mac, but it's not Intel-based)

Very glad to hear that it works at least mostly via CrossOver! I'm not sure exactly how to solve those problems that you describe, but I'll take a look.
Apr 9, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Great -- Thank you so much!
May 12, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Am I right in assuming that your wife is not willing to even temporarily part with her Mac?  ;)
Coordinator
May 12, 2008 at 1:28 AM
Heh, nope, she can share a bit. But that's no longer necessary. Releasing b14 right now, which officially supports Macs, and doesn't require CrossOver or an intel-based Mac. :)
May 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM
If this is a joke, it is a very cruel one. If not, get ready to have your feet kissed. ;)
Coordinator
May 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM
Edited May 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM
Don't get all kissy too fast. It's no joke, but it's still Mono. It's just native mono, not emulated mono. aka, it's only half as buggy, and a third as troublesome to setup. (Setup is easy as hell now. Install Mono for OSX, run 'mono Rawr.exe' in the terminal.)
May 13, 2008 at 5:04 PM
new hope...  disappointment...

"mono Rawr.exe" does indeed launch Rawr: I can briefly see the splash screen and then the main Rawr window. But only in flash: everything goes right away, while the terminal prompt comes backl, to tell me Rawr has quit (crashed?).

So maybe, just maybe, I missed something obvious. Any idea?

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Mono, 1.9.1. "mono --version" yields:

Mono JIT compiler version 1.9.1 (tarball)
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS:           normal
GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
SIGSEGV:       normal
Notification:  Thread + polling
Architecture:  x86
Disabled:      none

MonoDevelop launches just fine, so I can only suppose Mono is installed ok.

Jean-Denis

Coordinator
May 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM
What does it say in the Terminal?
May 14, 2008 at 3:17 AM
It doesn't say anything in the Terminal. The line returns with no error message whatsoever, something like this:

JDMBook:Rawr b14 jdmuys$ ls
BuffCache.xml Rawr.Base.dll Rawr.Mage.dll Rawr.Warlock.dll images
EnchantCache.xml Rawr.Bear.dll Rawr.Moonkin.dll Rawr.exe talent_images
ItemCache.xml Rawr.Cat.dll Rawr.ProtWarr.dll ReadMe.txt
ItemSource.xml Rawr.Healadin.dll Rawr.Retribution.dll Source
JDMBook:Rawr b14 jdmuys$ mono Rawr.exe
JDMBook:Rawr b14 jdmuys$ 

May 14, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Does this:
http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2008/May-13.html
change anything in this regard?

If I manage to get it working (Haven't tried yet) I wouldn't care making a mac application bundle for rawr. I'm a developer but I have .net allergy xD.
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 4:17 PM
That may change things, not sure. We'll see when they actually release it for OSX (within a few days I hope?).
May 14, 2008 at 9:20 PM
Crashes while loading from armory :( http://pastebin.com/m4dd5e55b
Coordinator
May 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM
Looks like a Mono bug... Does that *always* happen when loading from armory?
May 15, 2008 at 8:58 AM
yes, at least everytime I tested, I'll try to test it in a few more machines and even try to debug if I have enough time this weekend.
May 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM
I'm unable to launch it. I'm downloading the 2.2.1 update to X11 to see if that helps.

Here's the errors I got in terminal:
http://pastebin.com/m5525caf1
May 15, 2008 at 10:16 PM
Here it is after the X11 update. I don't think it changed anything:
http://pastebin.com/m3b072891
May 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Here it is after the X11 update. I don't think it changed anything:
http://pastebin.com/m3b072891
Coordinator
May 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM
Hmm... That shows that you don't have part of Mono. Did you fully install the latest complete version of Mono for OSX?

At time of writing, it's:
http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/1.9.1/macos-10-universal/3/MonoFramework-1.9.1_3.macos10.novell.universal.dmg
May 16, 2008 at 3:19 PM
14.1 is still crashing on me at launch time (I do have installed the 1.9.1_3 release of Mono). The good thing is, this time, I get some error message. Here is the output from the terminal:

JDMBook:Rawr b14.1 jdmuys$ mono --version
TLS:           normal
GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
SIGSEGV:       normal
Notification:  Thread + polling
Architecture:  x86
Disabled:      none

JDMBook:Rawr b14.1 jdmuys$ mono Rawr.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.FormatException: Unknown char: .
  at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] 
  at System.Double.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] 
  at System.Convert.ToDouble (System.String value) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000] 
  at Rawr.Program.Main () [0x00000] 

This crash happens after the main window draws.

By the way, I don't have much free time, but I am willing to try and investigate this further, with some initial pointer on [some or all of] how to:

- launch a .NET app with Mono under debugger control on the Mac (in order to enter breakpoints and trace execution)
- import the Rawr source code into MonoDevelop and build it from there
- build a simple .NET (Windows Form) app under Mono with MonoDevelop (hello world at least)

Here is the output of my crash with various Mono command line options:

JDMBook:Rawr b14.1 jdmuys$ mono --debug  Rawr.exe

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00016] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/corlib/System/Double.cs:214 
  at System.Double.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/corlib/System/Double.cs:182 
  at System.Convert.ToDouble (System.String value) [0x00010] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/corlib/System/Convert.cs:979 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x000a1] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Managed.Windows.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/XplatUICarbon.cs:1333 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Managed.Windows.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/XplatUI.cs:696 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x003ad] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Managed.Windows.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/Application.cs:861 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00014] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Managed.Windows.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/Application.cs:635 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000] in /private/tmp/monobuild/build/BUILD/mono-1.9.1/mcs/class/Managed.Windows.Forms/System.Windows.Forms/Application.cs:623 

JDMBook:Rawr b14.1 jdmuys$ mono --verbose  Rawr.exe

The output is much longer, with a record of all the called functions. Here are the last few calls before the crash, as reported in terminal:

Method System.Double:Parse (string) emitted at 0x1a444578 to 0x1a444595 (code length 29) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.FormatException:.ctor (string) emitted at 0x1a444598 to 0x1a4445c1 (code length 41) [Rawr.exe]
Method (wrapper runtime-invoke) System.Object:runtime_invoke_string (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) emitted at 0x1a4445c8 to 0x1a444657 (code length 143) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Exception:ToString () emitted at 0x1a444658 to 0x1a4447e4 (code length 396) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Exception:get_Message () emitted at 0x1a4447e8 to 0x1a444860 (code length 120) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Exception:get_StackTrace () emitted at 0x1a444860 to 0x1a444bcc (code length 876) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackTrace:.ctor (System.Exception,int,bool,bool) emitted at 0x1a444bf0 to 0x1a444e57 (code length 615) [Rawr.exe]
Method (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Diagnostics.StackTrace:get_trace (System.Exception,int,bool) emitted at 0x1a444e68 to 0x1a444ebc (code length 84) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackTrace:get_FrameCount () emitted at 0x1a444ec0 to 0x1a444ee2 (code length 34) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackTrace:GetFrame (int) emitted at 0x1a444ee8 to 0x1a444f3b (code length 83) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackFrame:GetMethod () emitted at 0x1a444f40 to 0x1a444f4e (code length 14) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Exception:GetFullNameForStackTrace (System.Reflection.MethodBase) emitted at 0x1a444f50 to 0x1a44532a (code length 986) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Reflection.ParameterInfo:get_Name () emitted at 0x1a445338 to 0x1a445346 (code length 14) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Type:get_IsClass () emitted at 0x1a445348 to 0x1a44539f (code length 87) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackFrame:GetILOffset () emitted at 0x1a4453a0 to 0x1a4453ae (code length 14) [Rawr.exe]
Method System.Diagnostics.StackFrame:GetFileName () emitted at 0x1a4453b0 to 0x1a445440 (code length 144) [Rawr.exe]

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.GetMessage (System.Object queue_id, System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 wFilterMin, Int32 wFilterMax) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunLoop (Boolean Modal, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run (System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) [0x00000] 

JDMBook:Rawr b14.1 jdmuys$ mono --trace=all  Rawr.exe

This gives an exceedingly long call history graph. I need to package the output in a file and make it available. I'll post again, when done.

If you have any idea, even on how I could go further, please help me help...

Jean-Denis

May 16, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Well, after about half an hour, the full trace log had reached 11 GB. I had to stop it. Clearly, I need to be more selective in the trace settings...

May 16, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Astrylian wrote:
Hmm... That shows that you don't have part of Mono. Did you fully install the latest complete version of Mono for OSX?

At time of writing, it's:
http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/1.9.1/macos-10-universal/3/MonoFramework-1.9.1_3.macos10.novell.universal.dmg

You're right that it's Mono. Here's a new wrinkle. I copied the same Rawr and Mono from that machine (a single 1.8 G5), to my first generation MacBookPro and it works. I'll reinstall Mono on the G5 and see what happens.
Coordinator
May 16, 2008 at 4:26 PM
It's definitely a very odd situation. The trace logs you posted there include only Mono calls, there's nothing Rawr-specific in that at all.

I did build Rawr using MonoDevelop, though it required a couple code changes to make it build, just newer C# syntax that it didn't like yet. Didn't seem to be any difference to building it that way, and just running the version that VS built. 
May 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM
Well, it seems something is wrong with my configuration. I compiled and ran the following "hello world"-kind app, and it crashes all the same:

JDMBook:FirstMono jdmuys$ cat main.cs
using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Windows.Forms;

public class HelloWorld : Form
{
static public void Main ()
{
Application.Run (new HelloWorld ());
}

public HelloWorld ()
{
Button b = new Button ();
b.Text = "Click Me!";
b.Click += new EventHandler (Button_Click);
Controls.Add (b);
}

private void Button_Click (object sender, EventArgs e)
{
MessageBox.Show ("Button Clicked!");
}
}

JDMBook:FirstMono jdmuys$ mcs -pkg:dotnet main.cs
JDMBook:FirstMono jdmuys$ mono main.exe

at HelloWorld.Main () [0x00000] 

May 17, 2008 at 4:18 AM
Sorry if this double-posts...

I made sure that I have the latest Mono. I downloaded what's up there as the latest version (the 1.9.1_3). Here's my mono -V:

TLS:           normal
    GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
    SIGSEGV:       normal
    Notification:  Thread + polling
    Architecture:  x86
    Disabled:      none

Whenever I try to do Tools > Edit items, Rawr crashes regardless of whether I've loaded my local .xml file for my character, pulled it down from the armory or just tyring to do it after starting up.

Here's what I get, and there are at least what looks like some Rawr errors:
http://pastebin.com/m72eb5297

It's clear from the little I know that there's some problem with System.Windows.Forms. I hope the next OS update helps.

Coordinator
May 17, 2008 at 5:00 AM
Yeah, looks like we might need to wait til Mono 2.0 to fix this, or I can try to work around it somehow... Hmm... Maybe, no promises.
May 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM
Edited May 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM
First of all thank you very much for your work on this.

Unfortunately I have yet to see any of it outside some screenshots. You see, I'm a new Mac user and not all that computer-smart. I managed to download and install the latest version of Mono, but using Terminal (yeay! - I found a new program on my computer - yeay!) I have no clue how to 'navigate to the folder where you installed Rawr' in accordance with your readme.txt file - and when I look in that folder I see nothing named 'mono Rawr.exe', trying to drag-drop rawr.exe into Terminal just gives me an error:

cannot execute binary file

Any chance you could include an easier explanation for us tech-neanderthals out there? In my defense I did figure out how to locate and launch Terminal all by myself.

Again, cheers for the unpaid hard work.
Coordinator
May 18, 2008 at 8:04 AM
Sorry it's not easy/obvious yet, I hope to make it just a simple double-click like any other program, in a later version.

In the meantime, in the Terminal, you need to get to where you unzipped Rawr. You do that using the 'cd' command (Change Directory). When you open the terminal, it starts on the desktop, usually. Suppose you unzipped Rawr to your Applications folder, you'd need to type:

cd ../../Applications/Rawr

'..' means up a directory level. Once you're in that folder, just type 'mono Rawr.exe', and it should launch.
May 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Edited May 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Cheers very much. The last time I did this kind of stuff was back in the 80s using DOS - the good ol' days. Gotta love Aussieland btw.

- Coldbear (Ravenholdt)

Yeay! I managed to get something to happen! Unfortunately it was the wrong thing, but hey, at least I figured out how to get mono to hit up rawr.exe

cpe-72-130-173-171:~ parlarsson$ pwd
/Users/parlarsson
cpe-72-130-173-171:~ parlarsson$ cd /users/parlarsson/desktop/rawr/
cpe-72-130-173-171:/users/parlarsson/desktop/rawr parlarsson$ mono rawr.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.Form ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.9.1/lib/libgdiplus.dylib
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Drawing.Image.InitFromStream (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] 
  at System.Drawing.Image..ctor (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor (System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoCMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[])
  at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Reflection.MonoCMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectRecord.LoadData (System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager manager, ISurrogateSelector selector, StreamingContext context) [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups () [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadNextObject (System.IO.BinaryReader reader) [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.ReadObjectGraph (System.IO.BinaryReader reader, Boolean readHeaders, System.Object& result, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Header[]& headers) [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.NoCheckDeserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream, System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.HeaderHandler handler) [0x00000] 
  at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize (System.IO.Stream serializationStream) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadNonPredefinedValue (System.Type exp_type) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ReadValueVer1 (System.Type type) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceValue (Int32 index) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceReader+ResourceEnumerator.get_Value () [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceSet.ReadResources () [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceSet.GetObject (System.String name, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] 
  at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject (System.String name) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Locale.GetResource (System.String name) [0x00000] 
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form..cctor () [0x00000] --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Rawr.FormSplash..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Rawr.FormSplash:.ctor ()
  at Rawr.FormMain..ctor () [0x00000] 
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Rawr.FormMain:.ctor ()
cpe-72-130-173-171:/users/parlarsson/desktop/rawr parlarsson$ 

Scrolling up in the thread looks like I ain't the only one. Oh well. See you in the EJ FD Megathread.
Coordinator
May 18, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Yeah, seen that error before, means you don't have GDI, which is part of Mono... Gunna ask the Mono team about it.
May 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Am I the only one able to run the program? this is madness!

P.S. had too much work this weekend Y_Y I hope i can do something next
May 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM

nesukun wrote:
Am I the only one able to run the program? this is madness!

P.S. had too much work this weekend Y_Y I hope i can do something next

I can run it and load from Armory. I can't optimize or add items. It's fantastic that you're attempting this, Astrylian.
May 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 9:09 AM
As a followup to my inability to run Rawr under Mac/Mono, I made really good progress, with both a diagnostic and a workaround.

The diagnostic: this is a bug in Mono/Winforms which occurs when the format for floating point numbers includes a floating-coma, instead of a floating point.

Could somebody confirm it by reproducing the bug, following these steps:

- Open System Preferences, and the International panel.
- Go to the "Formats" pane
- Select the French Format (if you have a submenu, select France)
- close the System Preferences and Open a new terminal window (important: any previously open terminal window will still have the old format settings)
- launch Rawr, or any other WinForm app for that matter.
- Watch it crash
- Restore your previous Formats setting in the System Preferences.

Probably other settings than French(France) will make it crash too.

The workaround: If it hurts when I push here, then don't push here. Namely: make sure you have United States selected in the Formats System Preference.

The fix: will have to occur in Mono, possibly in the System.Windows module.

Cheers,

Jean-Denis

May 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM
Yet Another follow up to my locale problem: the bug has been escalated through to the Mono project and fixed in the Subversion repository. The next version of Mono will have the fix in.

In the meantime, people from Europe can either keep their number format to one with a decimal point, or get the Mono source from Subversion et build it themselves.

Now, back to Rawr's specific bugs...

May 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM
Edited May 27, 2008 at 7:36 PM
Hello,

Just installed mono and rawr on OSX 10.5.2 with X11 from my Leopard disc. 

Jason-Mac:Rawr b14.1 jason$ mono --version
    TLS:           normal
    GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
    SIGSEGV:       normal
    Notification:  Thread + polling
    Architecture:  x86
    Disabled:      none

I run the command to open Rawr and it opens nicely. 

Jason-Mac:Rawr b14.1 jason$ mono Rawr.exe

I know the season 1 maul is missing from when I used rawr in VMWare. I go Tools -> Edit Items and then Rawr and Mono crash on me. The following is the output  I get in my terminal.

** (Rawr.exe:317): WARNING **: Missing method System.Windows.Forms.Binding::WriteValue() in assembly /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.9.1/lib/mono/gac/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll, referenced in assembly /Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/Rawr b14.1/Rawr.exe

Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Windows.Forms.Binding.WriteValue'.

at Rawr.FormItemEditor.listViewItems_SelectedIndexChanged (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.OnSelectedIndexChanged () [0x00000]

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ListView:OnSelectedIndexChanged ()

at System.Windows.Forms.ListViewItem.set_Selected (Boolean value) [0x00000]

at Rawr.FormItemEditor.FormItemEditor_Load (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl () [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl () [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.SendMessage (IntPtr hwnd, Msg message, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.CreateWindow (System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams cp) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.CreateWindow (System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams cp) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle (System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams create_params) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle () [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle () [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl () [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore (Boolean value) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore (Boolean value) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible (Boolean value) [0x00000]

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:set_Visible (bool)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog (IWin32Window ownerWin32) [0x00000]

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Form:ShowDialog (System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window)

at Rawr.FormMain.editItemsToolStripMenuItem_Click (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.HandleClick (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent (System.EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met) [0x00000]

at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem:FireEvent (System.EventArgs,System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mea) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp (System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs mea) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmLButtonUp (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlWindowTarget.OnMessage (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc (IntPtr hWnd, Msg msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.DispatchMessage (System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg) [0x00000]

at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.DispatchMessage (System.Windows.Forms.MSG& msg) [0x00000]

Any information you have on this would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Coordinator
May 28, 2008 at 12:15 AM
The Item Editor is broken in b14 for Mac, due to Mono being unfinished. Mono 2.0 should be out soon to solve the problem, but if it's not by the time I get to b15, I'll try to work around it. In the mean time, you can add the item id of the item to your character in textedit, and then open it in Rawr, and it'll download it.
May 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. That would explain the options window as well then I guess. Do we have any ETAs on Mono 2.0 (and b15, no rush, just curiousity)
Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM
Mono, not sure, just 'Soonish', I think. They've announced that they've got all the code written, just not tested and bugs fixed yet. So I'd expect within a month, but I don't really know.

Rawr b15... I've been exceptionally busy lately, so haven't made a whole lot of progress. I'd expect b15 is a month away, or so.
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:20 AM
Any updates on Mono in relation to Rawr?

Are there other applications that can be used to get Rawr working on Macs?

I'd imagine Boot Camp would work, but then you need a copy of Windows if I'm not mistaken.

Cross Over?
Jul 8, 2008 at 3:21 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM
I am currently using VMWare Fusion, as I find it unusable in Mono right now... hopefully Mono gets going soon and lets me get the 2.0 beta to start testing Rawr...
Jul 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM
I've been using Parallels to run Rawr on my mac without any problems, but you do need a copy of windows.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM
I don't know if you intentionally worked on improving Mac compatibility or if it was just a side effect of doing some code cleanup, but b15.1 runs both significantly faster and more stable here than the older versions did.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the hard work you are putting into the project. :)
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Glad to hear it! :)
Developer
Aug 18, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Does it work only on x86 based macs?  Some folks who play WoW have older ones...
Coordinator
Aug 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Mono is not Intel-only, it'll work fine on older Macs. (And my tests are primarily on older Macs, a PowerBook G4 to be specific)

Asgor, did you try it with the latest release version of Mono (1.9.1) or the new preview version (2.0.0 Preview 1)? We're really hoping that that 2.0.0 release of Mono fixes alot of our problems.
Aug 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM
I am running the 2.0 preview version of mono now.

My main gripe left are the mouseover tooltips in the stats, buffs, etc. section. These have always been very flaky but with mono 2.0 I can basically never get them to show. This is particularly problematic because these tooltips do not only explain variables but also contain the results of important calculations (e.g., spell sequencing in the mage module).

Maybe you could take your wives PowerBook for a ride again sometime to see this first hand. ;)
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2008 at 5:50 PM
Alright, will do. In the mean time, you can still at least use it by using Copy Character Stats to Clipboard, which will include the tooltip text.  However, the clipboard is broken in Mono too, so instead of copying it to the clipboard, it saves it to a text file in the Rawr folder. Sorry for all that run-around, Mono's far from perfect. :(
Sep 1, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2008 at 7:24 PM
For those confused trying to do this for the first time, copied from deep down south in the ReadMe.txt:

How to Run Rawr on OSX:
 1) Install Mono (http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html) for Mac OS X. 
 2) Unzip Rawr. 
 3) Open up the Terminal application. [Open the Finder, click Applications, expand the Utilities folder to find it, most likely.]
 4) Navigate to where you unzipped Rawr. [I downloaded and unzipped rawr straight to my desktop, so for me this step took typing "cd /users/parlarsson/desktop/Rawr\ b16" and hitting enter. No clue why that backslash is there.]
 5) type 'mono Rawr.exe', and hit enter. That should launch Rawr for you.

If someone more versed than I in using Terminal could write a better newbie guide, please do so, and maybe Astrylian could put it in the ReadMe.

In other news the above just manages to flash my screen, almost open up an application (guessing Rawr) in the dock and then just closes before I even see a splash screen. Meh. 

Looks like using VMWare Fusion or Boot Camp you have to have a copy of Windows to go with it. Ugh. I give up.
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Hi,
it would seem there is a problem, when using mono, with the path format Rawr has trouble finding the files and launching and temp files are created using "\" in the path where mac os x uses "/".

For exemple Rawr wouldn't launch until I moved the "Rawr.Base.dll" file in the same folder as the .exe. But I won't see alternative items to activate for optimization.
Coordinator
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Hey. I'll take a look at it. When you say "I won't see alternative items to activate for optimization", do you mean that when you launch Rawr, it doesn't know of any items besides what your character is wearing?
Oct 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM
Exactly. It will only offer the items I'm wearing.
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM
I tried something that improved things today : I duplicated the data files to put them on the same level as the .exe, adding on before their names "Data\". Then I was offered all the alternative items.
Don't know if it helps.
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM
Yep, that helps alot. I just checked in a change that I hope will fix it, for next version.
Oct 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM
A few info on what seems to work for me :

1) I put a copy of Rawr.Base.dll on the same level as Rawr.exe (otherwise mono won't be able to run Rawr)
2) I move all *.xml files from the Data folder on the same level as Rawr.exe. I modify those files names by adding before them "Data\" in order to emulate a windows path.

Then I can launch Rawr in mono without trouble.

Also, it seems to me that there is a bug in the "optimize" window. Whenever I chose the variable "DPS rating" as the one to maximize I end up
with equipement better suited for survivability, and if I chose "survivability" I end up with my DPS equipement. It seems to me those labels are inverted.
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2008 at 6:25 AM
Yeah, there's some bug in mono that reverses the order of items in an array at some point. Pretty much everywhere, Rawr on Mono confuses the order of the ratings.
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Torrijos, you inspired me to mess with this stuff again.
First try, without messing with the locations or names of any of the Rawr files:

cpe-66-75-37-229:~ parlarsson$ /Users/parlarsson/Desktop/WoW/Rawr\ v2.0.3/Rawr.exe 
-bash: /Users/parlarsson/Desktop/WoW/Rawr v2.0.3/Rawr.exe: cannot execute binary file
cpe-66-75-37-229:~ parlarsson$ cd /users/parlarsson/desktop/Wow/Rawr\ v2.0.3
cpe-66-75-37-229:/users/parlarsson/desktop/Wow/Rawr v2.0.3 parlarsson$ mono Rawr.exe

** (Rawr.exe:515): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /Users/parlarsson/Desktop/WoW/Rawr v2.0.3/Rawr.exe could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   Rawr.Base    (assemblyref_index=4)
     Version:    2.0.3.0
     Public Key: (none)
System error: Unknown error: 0

** (Rawr.exe:515): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Rawr.Base, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral' or one of its dependencies.

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred.
cpe-66-75-37-229:/users/parlarsson/desktop/Wow/Rawr v2.0.3 parlarsson$ 

NOTE: Why the **** would Terminal want to put in a "\" in the Rawr file folder? Oh well. Ugh.

Second try, after Torrijos' modifications:
Screen flashes, then back to Terminal and it's like nothing happened. Meh.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for trying to make this work, Astrylian, but this is just too many hoops to jump through, and having to learn Mono ain't easy (I don't even have a clue how to uninstall or update it). I'd pay money to see this application on a web server someplace.
Oct 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM
The \ in the directory is Terminal escaping the space. Since arguments for command line programs are normally separated by spaces, so it makes the path one argument even though it has a space. You can put quotes around the path for the same effect also.
Oct 30, 2008 at 7:49 PM
Okay I see what the first part of your problem is :

" (Rawr.exe:515): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Rawr.Base, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral' or one of its dependencies."
Is about not finding the "Rawr.Base.dll" file

Like Ermad said the "\" is used to signal a special character in this case a space in the name you could forget about that or if it's really annoying you,
 just change the space for an underscore, rename your folder "Rawr_v2.0.3" and you'll see thaht there won't be any backslash in the path.

Know about running Rwar don't give up ^^ it's really an amazing piece of software.
Let me give you a point per point tutorial.

I'll try to designate things this way :
<Folder> : - Folder's content

After you downloaded Rawr and un-zipped it you have a <Rawr v2.0.3> Folder whose content is...
<Rawr v2.0.3> : - <Data>
- Rawr.exe
- Rawr.exe.config
- ReadMe.txt

<Data> : - <images>
- <talent_images>
- Rawr.Base.dll
- *.dll meaning a bunch of ".dll" files
- *.xml meaning a bunch of ".xml" files

There are 2 problems with Rawr running on mono :
a) The program won't launch
b) You manage to launch the program but you don't see any pieces of equipement to chose from.

a) To resolve this issue (** (Rawr.exe:515): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Rawr.Base, Version=2.0.3.0, Culture=neutral' or one of its dependencies.) this error message meaning you have this problem,
put a COPY of the file Rawr.Base.dll, found in <Data>, in the folder <Rawr v2.0.3>.

You should have :
- Rawr.exe
- Rawr.exe.config
- ReadMe.txt
and - Rawr.Base.dll THE DUPLICATE

- <talent_images>
- Rawr.Base.dll, YOU HAVE TO LEAVE A COPY HERE
- *.dll meaning a bunch of ".dll" files
- *.xml meaning a bunch of ".xml" files

Now from what I gather since I've been toying with Rawr the ".xml" files are the databases, the files containing the different pieces of equipement you might chose etc.
If you try to run Rawr just now it will run but will not show you any items. This is the Windows not-the-same-than Unix path problem.

b) To resolve this problem MOVE all ".xml" files from <Data> to <Rawr v2.0.3> AND add before their names "Data\".
For exemple the file <Data> : BuffCache.xml should now be <Rawr v2.0.3> : Data\BuffCache.xml You just need to move the files and change their name, from the finder is alright (note there is are no spaces between the words and the "\").

Now we end up with :
- Rawr.exe
- Rawr.exe.config
- ReadMe.txt
and - Rawr.Base.dll
and - Data\*.xml meaning the ".xml" files with "Data\" added before their names

- <talent_images>
- Rawr.Base.dll
- *.dll

Now with the terminal you can go to <Rawr v2.0.3> and execute the command "mono Rawr.exe" Rawr should run and you should be able to select items and ask for an optimization.

Hope this helps you.

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:30 AM
Did all that. Screen flashes, then back to Terminal and it's like nothing happened. Meh.

Been awhile since I downloaded Mono, but can't seem to find an easy way to uninstall or update it.
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2008 at 7:34 AM
Just install the latest version, to update it.
Nov 1, 2008 at 3:18 AM
Edited Nov 1, 2008 at 3:28 AM
Mono updated. Screen flashes, back to Terminal, nothing.

Hmm... guess I could find a $200 PC laptop to run Rawr on. Got a bit of money to burn. Problem is it didn't work on my old XP laptop either, so before I spent that cash I'd want to be sure...
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM
Can't BootCamp?
Nov 7, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Or VMWare, or Parallels, or similar virtualization options.
Nov 7, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Some people (like myself) still have macs with PowerPC chips in them, but I have a Windows desktop so it isn't that much of an issue for me.
Nov 12, 2008 at 4:59 AM
I was able to get it to work using the instructions Torrijos posted above.  You should be able to get it to work.

You can also used a symlink to the to the Rawr.Base.dll file.  From the Rawr 2.03 directory:

ln -s Data/Rawr.Base.dll Rawr.Base.dll

Also, you can't just insert a \ character in a name, you need to escape it, so move the .xml files to the base directory, and then something like:

mv DataBuffCache.xml Data\\BuffCache.xml

etc.

Maybe you could post the output from $PATH; maybe your environment is weird for some reason?

echo $PATH

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:45 PM
Opening up Terminal and typing echo $PATH gives:

/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

Just messed around with CrossOver, no luck. I'm guessing it's an issue with NET Framework or Mono?

As far as I can tell, BootCamp, Parallels and VMWare would require me to install a windows copy?

Having to install two other programs that I have no clue how to operate in order to run Rawr just isn't gonna work. Maybe I'll just go play WoW.
Nov 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM
Edited Nov 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM
Batman -
did the ln -s Data/Rawr.Base.dll Rawr.Base.dll and got 'File exists'

did the mv DataBuffCache.xml Data\\BuffCache.xml and got 'No such file or directory'

Also downloaded and installed CrossOver, but I'm assuming I need to download some Windows software in additon in order to be able to use WoW? No luck whatsoever trying to get Rawr working with CrossOver straight out of the box.

This is ticking me off, so here's the official bounty:

$50 IN REAL MONEY VIA PAYPAL TO WHOMEVER CAN GET THIS WORKING ON MY MACHINE
plus an additional $50 IN REAL MONEY VIA PAYPAL TO ASTRYLIAN IF THIS IN FACT WORKS OUT - if Astrylian provides the info that gets this working on my machine, then he collects all $100 - in US dollars.

Caveats:
1. Must be simple, easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions either written or over the phone (pm if you'd like to arrange voice comms via phone or vent, I'd probably prefer that, assuming you're a native English or Swedish-speaker).
2. Must make RAWR work on my computer, with no significant loss in utility or program performance.
3. Minor workarounds are acceptable.
4. No software installation other than RAWR and Mono (which is what I believe the author intended). If you have something significantly easier I'm all over it and the bounty is back on.

I have downloaded CrossOver and Mono, and I'm hoping the two won't interfere with each other.

Here's my setup:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac7,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per processor):    4 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Bus Speed:    800 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:    IM71.007A.B03
  SMC Version:    1.21f4

Mono version is 2.0.1_1
CrossOver version is 7.1

System Software Overview:

System Version:    Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)
  Kernel Version:    Darwin 8.11.1
  Boot Volume:    Macintosh HD

I've been considering upgrading to 10.5 Leopard, so could be talked into it.
Nov 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM
Upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.4

First thing I did was pop open terminal, try to remember some half-***ed way of navigating to the Rawr folder.

Worked clean out of the box. No need to move files or whatnot. Holy crap I coulda avoided a lot of headache if I'd known. Bounty is off.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2008 at 7:07 AM
Grats! :)
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:49 PM
Runs so slowly as to be ...nearly unusable.

Click on a piece of gear and the popup list takes a while to load. Moving around in the program is a pain. Constant graphical artefacts. Up to 1min for a dropdown menu to appear. Wonder if it has to do with me loading possible upgrades from the armory?
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2008 at 7:09 PM
The artifacts are just Mono being crappy.  As far as data, I'd suggest just sticking with the default itemcache as much as possible, right now, since the armory and wowhead are both changing their data all the time, currently. As for the slowness... Mono should slow it down a good bit, but your machine looks decent, I'd expect it to be usable. We've got a bunch of performance changes coming in 2.2, perhaps that'll help, but I'm not sure. Some operations may just be rather slow on Mono. This is still odd though, because I have run it and it was slow but usable, on my 1GHz PowerBook G4.
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2008 at 4:52 PM
Deleted the xml file that my char had been saved as and started over, not loading all possible upgrades from Armoury, which helped a lot with the speed issues and the artefacts. Crashing and closes immediately after clicking 'Edit Item'. Keep getting an Incompatible BuffCache.xml error on launch.

Is there a way to add items to the program without using 'Load upgrades' and without clicking on 'Edit Item'?

Hmm... looks like I can just go through the list on the right and find items to make available for optimizing. Noted that Rawr seems to value Stamina above all else = manasponge tank.

Accidentally hit 'Esc' - bam! crash & close.
Went through all the lists on the right hand side to find stuff to make available for the optimizer. Was real careful to save very often so I wouldn't have to do it again.
'Batch Tools' - crash.
Reloaded. Incompatible BuffCache.xml error as usual on startup. None of the stuff I'd made available for the optimizer was left.

Threat is the least of my concerns right now - would be great to be able to rank the lists according to Survival + Mitigation.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM
OK, so now we're in the realm of 'it works, but Mono's buggy and it crashes when you breath too hard on it.' :(

The item editor often crashes under Mono. I don't have a work-around at the moment, but I'm looking into it.

Getting the error about BuffCache.xml is odd, I don't see why it wouldn't load it. Do you see all the buffs on the Buffs tab still?

Rawr doesn't necessarily value stamina above all else. Make sure you're fully buffed/talented/geared, and the relative value of stam to mitigation stats should come down. That said, stam does tend to give the best Overall rating at our gear level. But, remember that Overall isn't necessarily what you want to maximize. It's a good default, but for really min/maxing, you want to get 'enough' Survival to not be burst down, and then maximize Mitigation. The Optimizer can help with that, by optimizing for Mitigation, with an additional requirement of Survival > 120000 or whatever seems to be enough for the fights you tank, with the healers you've got. Also, the value of Threat is adjustable on the Options tab. There are a few defaults (I typically use MT, which values threat pretty low, but not totally worthless), or you can type in a custom value.

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Downloaded wholly new Rawr. Same old BuffCache.xml error

All the checkboxes on the Buff tab are unchecked, but all the options are there.
Sep 13, 2009 at 2:31 AM

any news on a Mac version?

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM

It's still coming. E-mail me if you're interested in beta testing.

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Thank you all immensely for the work, especially Astrylian. Still tryin to get this to work, however. So far, I get this:

Shaolin-7:Downloads MacKeyser$ cd "Rawr v2.2.19"
Shaolin-7:Rawr v2.2.19 MacKeyser$ mono Rawr.exe
System.ArgumentException: A null reference or invalid value was found [GDI+ status: InvalidParameter]
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000]
  at System.Drawing.Bitmap.SetResolution (Single xDpi, Single yDpi) [0x00000]
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.Bitmap:SetResolution (single,single)
  at Rawr.ItemIcons.ScaleByPercent (System.Drawing.Image img, Int32 Percent) [0x00000]
  at Rawr.ItemIcons.GetItemIcon (System.String iconName, Boolean small) [0x00000]
  at Rawr.FormSplash.get_CachedSplash () [0x00000]
  at Rawr.FormSplash.FormSplash_Paint (System.Object sender, System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnPaint (System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnPaint (System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs e) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc (System.Windows.Forms.Message& m) [0x00000]

Not being familiar with either piece of software or coding in general (except for some very basic stuff), I gots no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM
Astrylian wrote:

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM
Yup. Still interested in beta testing.

On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Astrylian wrote:

Astrylian wrote:

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Rawr@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Rawr@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Quad123 wrote:

...Great, so e-mail me?

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Uh, I am emailing you. Or am I missing something?

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Astrylian wrote:

Quad123 wrote:

...Great, so e-mail me?

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Rawr@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Developer
Sep 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM

No, you aren't, you are replying directly to the Discussion on the Rawr website...

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

OK, hopefully I've now actually replied directly to Astrylian .

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Well, since I'm receiving this, you may suppose that you are not emailing Astrylian.

Look at your message headers some day.

Jean-Denis

On Sep 25, 2009, at 18:39 , Quad123 wrote:

Quad123 wrote:

...Great, so e-mail me?

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM
you notified me, not Astrylian.

You need to email Astrylian.

Be well,
Mack

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Quad123 wrote:

Quad123 wrote:

...Great, so e-mail me?

Sep 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM
sorry, I'll look again, but via codeplex, all I saw was this facility. then again, I was pretty tired, so I might have just missed it. I'll check again.

Be well,
Mack

Quad123 wrote:

...Great, so e-mail me?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I don't suppose a mac version has progressed any further? Would you like another beta tester?

Cheers

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM

E-mail me.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Astrylian wrote:

I am interested in beta testing as well. I have dropped you a email too.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Also interested in beta testing i have also sent you an email,

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Interested as well, email sent.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM

i think i sent one aswell

Developer
Jan 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Please don't keep posting that you have an interest here, there's no point. Astry will respond to your emails as soon as he is able.

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Actually the closed beta closed, you'll have to wait till the open beta starts.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I just thought I would offer a post that the latest released version of Rawr is working with Mono on Mac OS X. It did not work by default but after reading this thread and doing a bit of research on mono I was able to get it going.... Here is a quick rundown for those still having trouble...

First my version of OS X is 10.5.8, and I am running a 17" Macbook Pro (Intel based). (I have also tried this on Snow Leopard with the same results).

I am running Mono JIT compiler version 2.4.2.3 (tarball Thu Jan 14 08:03:06 PST 2010) (installed via Macports ('port install mono libgdiplus')).

After installing libgdiplus via Macports I was still receiving libgdi errors when trying to run mono Rawr.exe.

Looking into mono library errors I was able to confirm the issue was not having a proper dllmap for libgdiplus.

To resolve this issue, I modified the mono config file. Again since I am using mono via macports, your mono config file location may be different than mine:

/opt/local/var/macports/software/mono/2.4.2.3_0+darwin_9/opt/local/etc/mono/config

In the 'config' file I added the following line to the XML:

<dllmap dll="gdiplus.dll" target="/opt/local/var/macports/software/libgdiplus/2.6_0/opt/local/lib/libgdiplus.dylib"/>

You would add a dllmap entry similar to this inbetween the <configuration></configuration> XML tags. AGAIN depending on version on installation type your directories for these files may/will be different. You will just need to locate the files and update the paths accordingly. 

All in all Rawr runs fine, it is a bit slow (but usable), armory sync'ing and all of the features are functional.

Best of luck. I am happy to try an answer any questions that may arise, but of course no guarantees.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM
Kavan wrote:

closed beta closed

Lol.

I still have flashbacks from messing with Mono, so I'll just mess with the VERY slick and simple http://www.askmrrobot.com/WowSimulator.aspx til this Armory thing gets sorted out.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM

For anyone hoping to use Mono to get the latest open Rawr release to work on a Mac while we wait for the open beta of Rawr 3 - I managed to get it to work with the latest download of Mono (had to rename the unzipped Rawr folder to just "Rawr" and then do

cd /users/YOURNAMEHERE/desktop/rawr/

mono rawr.exe

- but there's tons of errors scrolling in the terminal, the graphics are glitchy and things don't always display properly (e.g., Optimizer results wouldn't show the actual gear difference between current and optimal, the ilvl in a tooltip is overwritten by the item name and the popup dropdown menus sometimes persist over other stuff - on the plus side, the mouse-button scroll works in the right-hand pane).

Meh. Here's a fun result of loading from armory (which may also crash the program completely...).

Oopsy. Save As ...crash.

Fri Jan 22 06:25:03 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:03 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
Fri Jan 22 06:25:03 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:03 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:03 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:04 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:04 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:04 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceSynchronize: Invalid device window
Fri Jan 22 06:25:04 cpe-66-75-32-170.san.res.rr.com mono[2520] <Error>: kCGErrorCannotComplete: CGSDeviceGetGeometry: Invalid device window

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I've been using http://www.virtualbox.org/ to run Rawr for awhile now and haven't had any problems. It seems a little sluggish but that's about the only problem I think. 

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I decided to try to get it running again today.

Setup is:

MacBook Pro Late 2008, Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard), Mono 2.6.1, Rawr 2.3.10

When starting it, I got the usual (?) error:

Unhandled Exception: System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
  at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUICarbon.AudibleAlert () [0x00000] in :0 

I did a little Googling and found: http://n4.nabble.com/Workaround-for-this-bug-Audible-Alert-makes-Msgbox-show-blow-up-td1542638.html#a1542638

As described, I downloaded monocharge-20100219.tar.gz, unzipped, and did the following in Terminal...

sudo gacutil -i System.Windows.Forms.dll

NOTICE: Either navigate to the folder containing System.Windows.Forms.dll, og type the complete path (I dragged it from the Finder into the terminal window)

This got rid of the issue, so I can run Rawr in Mono 2.6.1

UI is crap, the app is slow, but it works...

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM
spinhalf wrote:

I've been using http://www.virtualbox.org/ to run Rawr for awhile now and haven't had any problems. It seems a little sluggish but that's about the only problem I think. 

need a copy of Windows to get that started, right?

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM
coldbear wrote:
spinhalf wrote:

need a copy of Windows to get that started, right?

Yes. In order to use a virtualization product like VirtualBox, you need a separate license for whatever OS you want to run on it. That's mainly what has been keeping me from doing it.

Would anyone happen to know if the Vista license stuck to the bottom of my laptop (which runs Linux) could be used for a Windows VM on said laptop?

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM

The thing is a few weeks ago there was a web version of rawr that worked like a charm for the mac user. It was in beta test, and was pulled but is supposed to go in public testing but we haven't got any news since then.

It would be great if the last beta version was still accessible since it was pretty good and way better than mono+rawr or virtualization.

So any news on Rawr 3?

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

We've been waiting on Blizzard to implement something on the Armory for us so that Rawr3 could function. However, that's taking much longer than expected, so we're going to be exploring alternate routes instead.

Developer
Feb 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM
ZDBioHazard wrote:

Would anyone happen to know if the Vista license stuck to the bottom of my laptop (which runs Linux) could be used for a Windows VM on said laptop?

Yes.  That is the license for Windows Vista that came with the Laptop you purchased.  You can use it to re-install Vista on that machine.  Perfectly legal.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hi

So im one of those guys that actually read the posting guidelines and since this is a "I have a mac, and im pretty frustrated because I just want Rawr to work on my mac"-thread I will post my stuff here.

So as you probably guessed... I am using a mac. And I am not a super user in any ways so I gave up pretty quickly with getting it to work with mono. Then after... like 2 months of thinking. I came up with a less timeconsuming and more longterm fix to this.

I really dont know (Shit im bad at reseaching) if it has come up, but I guess not as a fix to the mac problem. BUT, I was thinking that since its made i C#, it wouldnt take as much effort putting it in to ASP.net as into Objective-c. And as ASP.net you would be able to make it as a webservice. That would offcourse take some better hosting I would guess, but you could get those money from advertising a little. I think that if you made it a webservice you should only have one place to bugfix and it would be supported on all platforms that can use a browser, maybe even on iphone and stuff like that in the future.

I know this will at least take some extra effort, but at least VERY little in light of what it would take to port it to objective-c (and yearh that language has a steap learning curve).

I dont know if you have shot this idea down before or you dont find it a good idea. But I just thought it would be the easiest way to get the mac users on a better rawr :D

I hope you like the idea.

/Brian /buhg

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Uh... heh?

No, porting Rawr to ASP.NET would be a huge undertaking, and create a completely different application as it would make a website, not a client program. Regardless, it's already ported to Silverlight, and works wonderfully on Mac. We hope to release it to public beta this weekend.

Developer
Mar 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Shazear wrote:
ZDBioHazard wrote:

Yes.  That is the license for Windows Vista that came with the Laptop you purchased.  You can use it to re-install Vista on that machine.  Perfectly legal.

Actually, no.  Not legal, and even if it were, it would likely not work either.

Your OEM version is licensed to run on a specific brand of computer, and possibly even a specific make.  The Virtualisation effectively makes your windows run on "another machine", a machine you don't have a license for, even if the virtual machien will end up running on the same actual computer.  The built in sanity checks of your OEM license install CD/DVD/Preinstall, will more likely than not prevent you from installing the OEM copy inside the VM.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Astrylian wrote:

Regardless, it's already ported to Silverlight, and works wonderfully on Mac. We hope to release it to public beta this weekend.

Thank you, you just made my day.  :)

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Leaving a voice here to ask for a Mac-appropriate version of this app as well.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Clawmarks, did you even bother reading the post immediately above your own?

But I suppose it's only natural that we'll see more posts like this as Rawr becomes more mainstream.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Glad to hear the public beta is starting soon, but is it gonna be significantly faster than the closed beta; the closed beta was horrendously slow in comparison to the stable Windows build at the time.

Coordinator
Mar 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Assuming you mean the one that was on wowrawr.com, yes, significantly faster.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM

can we please get an eta. using maxdps is really sucking.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Read the giant link at the top of the discussions page or the thread with the same title that's currently just below this one.