HTML 5 Rawr

Topics: Developer's Corner [Devs Only], Off-Topic
Jun 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM

In the interests of cross-platform compatibility, I believe that Rawr should move to the HTML 5 standard.  Silverlight is MS-only software and its implementations on various platforms (Mac, etc.) are of questionable quality.

HTML 5 is a well-accepted standard and should be embraced.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Okay, let me spell it out for you: HTML is a markup language, not a programming language.  We can't just wave a wand and magically make Rawr appear in HTML.  I agree that standards are good and I'm not a terribly big fan of Silverlight myself, but honestly, it is the best choice for Rawr until such time as we decide to move away from the .NET environment entirely.  Which will probably be never, given our current codebase investment.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Hell, the transition from raw C# to SL/WPF was a chore.  I can't imagine gutting it completely for HTML5. You also have to realize much of HTML 5 was meant as a replacement for Flash, not for full on applications like what we've got running under the hood with Rawr. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Rawr would simply not perform in JS. The performance difference between JS and C# is gigantic.