Feasibility of using a Rawr-type program for other games

Topics: Off-Topic
Aug 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

First of all, I would like to thank you guys for developing Rawr, I know it must be a fairly difficult undertaking considering you don't get paid for it and work on it in your spare time. I used it extensively for my warrior main and my alts in Wotlk. I like Rawr's functionality compared to using spreadsheets, etc, since you can provide it with the gear you have available to you, and it figures out what is the best combination itself.

I'm currently playing other MMOs atm, namely Rift and SWTOR. They are similar to WoW in that they based on gear progression, class specs and action-bar type gameplay, so there is the room to optimise the gear, specs and rotations for the different classes in these games. I was wondering how feasible and how much work would be required to implement a program similar to Rawr for these games?

I personally have experience with the optimisation techniques that you use, i.e. the GA and SA metaheuristics, from my studies at uni and my work, but I haven't really involved myself heavily on the theorycrafting side of things, mainly relying on others to produce spreadsheets, and in your case, Rawr.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM

It is definitely feasible, but would still be a significant undertaking. Jothay made a branch for SWTOR (http://rage.codeplex.com/) but I don't think that was ever finished.