This project is read-only.

Maybe a Linux-version?

Topics: Off-Topic
Dec 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM
I was thinking if it could be a version of Rawr compatible with the different distributions of Linux.

It would be nice ^^U
Dec 25, 2008 at 12:34 AM
Rawr already works on Mono, so you can use it on Linux, just like on OSX.
Dec 25, 2008 at 1:36 PM
Well, I installed it but I incurred in this error:

In the console: ** (Rawr.exe:6689: WARNING **: Missing method .ctor in assembly /home/vynka/.wine/drive_c/Rawr v2.1.4/Rawr.exe, type System.Windows.Forms.DrawToolTipEventHandler

How may I fix it?

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:56 AM
Edited Dec 26, 2008 at 6:57 AM
Don't use wine, use mono.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM
I'm using mono, but I have the Rawr copied in the wine-directory.

Changing it to the Desktop I'm getting the same error.

Maybe I didn't installed it correctly?

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:49 AM
Here is how I got it running under Ubuntu  8.10. I am sitting at a windows machine so I have no way to double check but I think the instructions are correct.

Install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

sudo apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

If you are not using Ubuntu check if your distribution got a similar named package. Can't say if this is a problem specific to Ubuntu.

I also had another problem, but I can't recall if that was with Mono or when trying to run rawr via wine. The solution to that problem was to delete the file "Rawr.exe.config" from the Rawr folder. The program apparently ran fine without the file. But before erasing that file try to install the package above and see if that is enough to get it running :)
Dec 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM
The problem persists.

"The current BuffCache.xml file was made with a previous version of Rawr, which is incompatible with the current version. It will be replaced with buff data included in the current version"

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM
That error really means, technically, that it wasn't able to successfully read the BuffCache.xml. For most people, that means that it's trying to read a BuffCache.xml made with an older version of Rawr. However, it could mean anything that would stop it from reading the BuffCache.xml. In your situation, I'd guess perhaps file permissions? Rawr needs to run as a user which has permission to read all of the files in its directory and subdirectories.
Dec 27, 2008 at 11:25 PM
I tryed with "sudo mono Rawr.exe", but I dinged the same error.
Dec 30, 2008 at 7:53 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM
It's not file permissions, and it's not a bad file. I had the same problem, renamed the file, and tried again. I got no error (not surprising) and it wrote out a new copy of BuffCache.xml which was exactly identical to the old one. On next launch, it gave me the error again with its new file.

Rawr is usable even with the error, although I don't know if it's any more or less accurate or if data is missing as a result of that file having only its default values.

Also, completely unrelated, the drop-down menus extend past the bottom of my screen, and the down-arrow either isn't appearing at all or is off the bottom of the screen as well. Not sure what to do about that, as I am very inexperienced with Mono.
Jan 9, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
I've now reinstalled the last Ubuntu version on my laptop, I downloaded the newest rawr and mono; now it only seems to open but it immediately closes :\
Jan 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Just as a reminder: Did you delete Rawr.exe.config before running it?

Wish I knew why that file mucked things up so much... it's a tad annoying to archive it when I'm in Linux, and unarchive when I'm booted into Windows.
Jan 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Could the BuffCache.xml issue be a file encoding issue? I am not sure what you encode the files as (I am assuming UTF-8), but if it was something strange (like UTF-16), it could cause strange behavior on Linux. I would think Mono should handle this itself, but who knows.

The only other thing I could think of is to 'chown' the file to yourself, or 'chmod 777' it (which is a terrible UNIX security hack, I am aware).

edit: Now that I think about it, it could be a file separator issue as well. I am not sure if Mono correctly handles enoding '\' as '/' on UNIX. If you are using a string literal for that, you may want to use either Path.DirectorySeparatorChar (which is platform specific), or Path.Combine which actually uses Path.DirectorySeparatorChar.

These are just completely random thoughts without actually looking at the code.
Jan 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM
We did actually switch to using all Path.DirectorySeparatorChar and Path.Combine() everywhere, a while ago, in order to get it working on Mono on OSX. (As far as I know anyway; if anyone wants to double-check and finds anywhere we're still explicitly using /'s or \'s in paths, let me know, but I'd expect that that'd break on OSX too.)

File encoding is UTF-8 for everything, I'm pretty sure.