[Tree] Staff or Mainhand+Offhand

Topics: Rawr.Tree
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:42 AM
I'm checking out my resto gear for the pending dual spec function being added.

How does the restodruid priorities work with 2H vs MH+OH.

pointwise my blue main hand gavel of the fleshcrafter together with my scepter of the murmuring spirits add up to around 660p if you manually add it together, and my staff alone charmed cierge has 620p. but it's ranked higher on the main hand chart. Does this mean that it would be better than the blue main hand alone, or both the mh+oh together vs the staff? or do you actually count the points to get a real ranking?

here's my xml
http://wow.creepwood.net/moofootree.xml

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:50 AM
Select the OH in the OH slot. Then look at the MH chart. Staves will be valued by themselves, MHs will be valued as themselves with the OH.
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Oh wow, good to know, I was not aware of that feature. Great work!
Developer
Jan 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM
At the risk of being completely flamed, one option is to treat OH items as gems.

So just like you have a dropdown list of items with different gemming combinations, you could have an MH with different OH combinations.  This would allow you to directly compare 2H and MH + OH items from the one Main Hand screen/drop down.

Ofc it means polluting the MH list with combinations of MH + OH items (potentially with different gemmings).

Char
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM
No, I think the way it currently works, works quite well. There's always the Optimizer too, to try every possible combination.
Developer
Jan 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM
Well, yes, it works well, but it could work better.  If the optimizer does a perfect job each time, then I have no concerns.  Otoh, if you're trying to compare Weap 1 + OH 1, Weap 2 + OH 2, and Weap 3 + no OH, there's a number of manual steps that need to be made.

You can select OH 1 and easily see how Weap 1 + OH 1 compares to Weap 3 with no OH, but you don't get to immediately appreciate the relative values of different weapon & OH combinations.  If OH 1 was strictly better than OH 2, then we just remove OH 2 from the equation.  But in some cases one OH may be better given one weapon than another.

That being said, I don't think I'd prioritize such a feature very highly.

Char
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2009 at 1:53 AM
"If the optimizer does a perfect job each time, then I have no concerns." It does, as far as what you're suggesting.
Developer
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:14 AM
The optimizer is a heuristic, a starting point IMHO.  Not a finish.  For instance, it is telling me to equip to "On Use" trinkets to maximize my damage.  While I'm 100% sure it's correct, I know that my playing style is such that I don't always pop BOTH trinkets when I need them.  In fact, many times I don't even pop any trinket because I am saving it for a key part of a fight.

So I start with the optimizer and then make manual adjustments.

This suggestion was a suggestion to make manual adjustments easier.

Char