Performance

Topics: Rawr.Base
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM
I'm using Rawr while I have WoW running. On my Core2 (1,86ghz) Rawr became very slow with the current patch. Loading, change of the rawr module, changing talents and especially the item lists. Scrolling through these lists is almost impossible and takes from 3-8 seconds to refresh.

I hadnt any performance issues with the last version of Rawr.

On the other side: item editing and direct upgrades are much faster now, thanks for that :D
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM
It would help if you can tell us what model this happens with and if you can post an example character xml that you're using.
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2009 at 1:22 PM
These issues are model and character independant. I tried different models and empty character sheets and it takes very long to build (or scroll through) the items list and to switch between the different models. Though I was wrong on the performance of talent point changing, this hasnt changed since the last Rawr version.

I guess the new gem and enchant system recalculates every time you open an item list and takes to much performance on my computer.... which doesnt explain the long loading of the class modules though. That's hard to test, because there is some caching going on, which causes strongly reduced loading times of modules you have already loaded in the last few minutes.

I've also noticed that Rawr has a lower memory usage... maybe that forces the program to reload more data from harddisk when building item lists? I'm noticing low blue curves (maximum HDD activity) in the resource monitor when working with Rawr. CPU activity is rather low.
WoW has high memory usage and HDD activity, that might further explain why Rawr is very slow when using Alt+Tab

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Memory usage is lower because there's no longer tons of duplicate data in memory. Performance has actually increased since last version, generally. Are you sure this is model independent?
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM
Ok I've done some more extensive testing on this, here's what I found out:

The model-change lag isnt new. When I'm running WoW and many other applications it just takes its time, but there isnt an obious difference between 2.19 and 2.20. Sorry 'bout the misinformation.

The item list performance though is obviously worse by several degrees between 2.19 and 2.20. This issue is model and character independant, I've tested every single model and used different character sheets. As mentioned before this occurs even with an emtpy char sheet.

When Im using the scroll bar I have a 1-3 seconds lag somewhere between top to bottom in almost 100% of the cases. In 2.19 the scrolling is fluent (besides some minor graphical skew when the list going really fast ^^).
Sometimes it's getting worse, not displaying any list item at all for 5 seconds. The worst case I had was that the whole program didnt react for almost 15 seconds and Windows told me that there wasnt any reaction (dont know the English term, I'm using German Windows version, but it's displayed in the title frame).
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM
That's very weird; nothing has changed to do what you're describing. Switching models should take a few sec. Switching charts should be near instantaneous. Scrolling around in charts should be absolutely instantaneous, there's really absolutely *nothing* going on there, calculation-wise. As soon as you load a chart, the whole chart is calculated, a long image is created for the whole chart, and that image is dropped in that frame, and is scrollable. Can you please try running 2.1.9 and 2.2.0 side by side (just leave them in different folders), and make the exact same actions in each one, and see if it really does happen only in 2.2? How many gemming templates are you using (default, haven't changed anything? Are you turning all of them on or something?)? If you download a fresh copy of 2.2.0b1, can you tell us the exact steps, click by click, of how to reproduce it?
Feb 24, 2009 at 11:08 PM
>> Can you please try running 2.1.9 and 2.2.0 side by side (just leave them in different folders), and make the exact same actions in each one, and see if it really does happen only in 2.2?
Did this and it confirmed my findings. The 2.2.0 item list was much slower again.

I've redownloaded 2.2.0 and reinstalled it on a completely empty partition (though it's on the same harddrive). I'm just starting the program and the list are already lagging right after the program start without changin anything (even the model).

I guess it's hard to reproduce this problem on your own computer as it might heavily depend on my hardware and software environment. I can give you more details on my system if that would help. :-/
Feb 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Santorayo, I'm very impressed by your testing zeal.  I don't doubt you're seeing what you see, but it sounds like you can't produce any results that Astrylian can work with.

Maybe if others report the same problem...

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM
Indeed, I'm at a loss for what's going on for you currently, Santorayo. Is anyone else experiencing this sort of problem? There's literally nothing different between 2.1.9 and 2.2.0b1, in what you describe; I don't know what would be causing it.
Oct 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM
Edited Oct 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I am also having performance issues as well but on a later version.  I am not sure if it is that you guys are adding more features or what.  The whole program freezes for like 2 minutes every time I go to modify item with a gem or enchant.  I know you guys are doing a great job on this program but is there a way to make it take less ram and processor power? 

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:00 PM

What model? Can you provide an 'especially slow' example character file?

Developer
Oct 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM

And the winner for the necro-poster of the year is.....

Joking aside, we applaud you for searching for the issue before posting. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM

RAWR 2.2.24

Windows XP w/ latest service pack

1.50 GM of ram Pentium 4 CPU Dual core 3.20 Ghz

EVGA 8600 K.O edition w/ ACS3 256mb

I also have extra cooling installed.

I can send you the saved character file or you can use the armory the result is the same.

I can even close every program down and shut down extra services only to end up with the same results.

I am not sure what else I can do on my end.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 11:07 PM

...provide the armory link?

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Here are some armory links to play with.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Darkseraphim

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Pyrogenics

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Pathogenics

Developer
Oct 30, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I'm beginning to think that the common denominator in these performance issues revolve around that MoB defect in Tank DK.  Your first link is a blood DK.  Then I'm wondering if whatever bug I'm exposing ripples to the other characters for some reason.  This is gut talking as I haven't done the research to confirm or research any potential problems with your other 2 toons. 

the MoB defect is the next fix on my list that I expect to tackle today or this weekend.