Thought on improving the flow of menu use

Topics: Rawr.Base
Apr 5, 2009 at 7:03 PM
For the purposes of shortening the menu used to look and compare upgrades
the change in the menu system is a very good one. However, flipping through
 my item slots to see what's still an upgrade for my dps and where it drops has
 become more difficult in this latest (beta) version. In order to look at the gear-list 
for each slot I have to:

*click menu"
*drag to sub-menu*
*click on sub-menu to flip between slots*

Would it be possible to change it so that when you click on an item-slot on the left side,
the list of gear for the relevant slot pops up on the right side? This could easily extend to 
enchantments as well. The current functionality (the pop-up menu that lets you equip gear)
can be retained  by clicking and holding the mouse button and by having the mouse_up event 
 to select an item to swap out. Alternatively you could have the menu on the right adopt that
 bit of  functionality (not a bad idea imo as it's got more room, and would make for a cleaner interface)

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM
What if it worked like the menus in Wowhead?

Currently: [Gear > Head]
                 (current menu system)

What if: [Gear] > [Head]
          (current)     (just gear slots)

And of course if you selected the Gems > Normal chart, the 2nd menu would just contain Normal and Meta. Or the 2nd menu would disappear if you selected Talent Specs.
Apr 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM
I'm not quite sure if I'm interpreting  your response correctly.

So the inital menu selection would go as it is now. 
However once you were flipping through the equipment lists, you would 
be able to select the slot from a sub-menu any bypass the initial one?

(*nods* kinda like it is in wowhead where you can activate a menu from
the current item slot, and from there pick from other lists at the same level of granularity?)

This wasn't quite what I was originally suggesting, but it would serve to make navigation
much easier when dealing with related menus. (It could be also readily extended for enchantments)

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Yeah, you'd still be able to do everything through the first menu, exactly as you can now. The 2nd menu would just be a sort of shortcut to whatever submenu you're currently in.
Apr 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM
That sounds excellent!  I like where the new menu is heading, and this setup you are describing sounds like yet another step forward.
Apr 6, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Edited Apr 7, 2009 at 8:39 AM
I second the request, and possibly the suggestion, if I understood it correctly.

In more general terms, it's a good thing to limit the use of hierarchical menus to the extent it's possible.

This is all the more so that hierarchical menus are *much more* cumbersome to use on Windows than on my Mac. On Windows the mouse path needs to be:

1) click and move the mouse vertically to the hierarchical menu item. The hierarchical menu pops up.
2) move the mouse horizontally to the right to the hierarchical menu that just popped up.
3) move the mouse vertically to the item you want to choose.

If at any time during step 2 & 3, you move the mouse outside the menu, it pops off, and you need to start over at step one.

In particular, this disallows the following path commonly used on the Mac:

1) click and move the mouse vertically to the hierarchical menu item. The hierarchical menu pops up.
2) move the mouse diagonally, directly to the item you want to choose.

That much more efficient move doesn't work on Windows because the diagonal path makes you leave the menu, which pops off.

The windows way requires a much more precise hand coordination, and a longer, less efficient path. Moreover, it drives us Mac users crazy, because the more efficient Mac way is carved in our muscle memory.