Silverlight Development Tools

Topics: Rawr.Base
Jun 10, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Originally posted this just for devs, but for anyone trying to build our in-development work on Rawr3:

Assuming you already have VS2k8 or VC#Express2k8 installed, you need to install the following, in this order, in order to develop for Rawr3:

1. .NET 3.5SP1:
  2. Silverlight 3 Beta Runtime:
  3. Silverlight 3 Beta Tools for VS2k8:
  4. Expression Blend 3 Preview:
  5. Silverlight 3 Toolkit March 2009:

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:03 PM

In order to get Expression Blend to work with Source Control you need to install VS2008 Sp1 ( and a hotfix (

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I think I followed these steps, but started downloading and installing some silverlight tools before this list of steps were available, so not sure if I stuffed something up.

I have VC#Express 2008 and now installed Visual Web Developer 2008 (I think one of the Silverlight home pages suggested that was required for Silverlight).

I manage to open the Rawr3 solution in Blend, but it feels horribly slow. Trying to open in either VC#Express2008 or WebDev2008, I get the "Project type is not supported by this installation" error.

My question is: Did I do something wrong and it should be opening in VC#2008? Or are other developers using Blend and it isn't really as slow and sluggish as it appeared on first use? Or is Blend just for the GUI creation and then you go back to VC# and implement the code interfacing to this GUI?

Thanks in advance

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM

VC# was right; you just didn't install Silverlight tools, if you got that 'project type not supported' error. Really, just start over from the top of the list, it's OK to reinstall things that are already installed.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:22 AM

Are you sure this works with VC#Express 2008? I am having much the same problems as Wild is.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:50 AM

Not positive, but pretty sure. If not, give VSWebDev a try.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM

I posted this in the developer-only discussion, but since there are some non-developers who are trying this, I'll repost.

What you need to do is get VS Web Developer 2008 Express, THEN install SP1, THEN install Silverlight Tools.  You can then open Rawr3.sln with VS Web Developer.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Also, once you have the solution open, set Rawr.Silverlight.Web as the startup project; for some reason the sln doesn't save the fact that that's the startup project, so it doesn't get checked in.