Module: DPSDK, concerns with Hit rating

Topics: Rawr.DPSDK
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Rawr is trying to optimize my DK to around 5% +hit, no matter how many times I run the optimizer, or what level of thoroughness.

I'm optimizing with a 0/53/18 Dual Wield Frost build. I expected to go for at LEAST 8% hit to cap specials, and with dual wielding I would expect more hit to not be a BAD thing.

Am I missing something in the game mechanics, or is there something strange going on in the rawr programming?

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Frost has a talent that while using 1 handed weapons you gain 3% hit.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM

yes, but is the implication that 8% (capping specials) is all that is needed, and there is no benefit whatever from additional hit beyond that? IE to improve hit rate of your white hits.

Developer
Aug 7, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Unless you are dual wielding, the cap for any melee (white or yellow) is 8%, period, no further benefit. Talents can be used to fulfill part of that cap (such as the 3% ermad mentioned).

Dual weilding the miss cap for whites only becomes 27% and generally provides some benefit from additional hit but not as much as other stats.

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2009 at 6:45 AM

Precisely. Past 8%, Hit does have value, just not nearly as much. So, naturally the Optimizer will typically find optimal gear sets which don't waste much itemization points on post-soft-cap hit. 

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM
Jothay wrote:

Unless you are dual wielding, the cap for any melee (white or yellow) is 8%, period, no further benefit. Talents can be used to fulfill part of that cap (such as the 3% ermad mentioned).

Dual weilding the miss cap for whites only becomes 27% and generally provides some benefit from additional hit but not as much as other stats.

Jothay, this is incorrect for DKs as DKs have spells that use spell hit.  Now the benefit past 8% is very small but it IS there.

Developer
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I wasn't referencing spells at all, only melee attacks. Spells of course have their own Spell Hit Cap.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:45 PM

If your buff selections includes Misery or the equiv 3% hit buff, this would also explain the lower cap for hit being optimized for.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Misery and Imporved Fiare Fire give 3% spell hit that is.