Cat Crit Cap

Topics: Rawr.Cat
Oct 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM

So, I think it's time to worry about the white crit cap (at least for ferals) as it's practically possible at this point to gear/gem in ways where you'll see problems with various crit soft-caps. 

I'm not sure if it's currenlty being computed; there's no indication that it's behaving properly (without looking at the code).  It's very possible to select items with crit, gem for agi/crit where possible, and come up with 75% crit and 2% miss with iLvl-258 gear.  Which means, you should be missing white hits (because of 24% glances that can't be pushed off the combat table by crit, then 2% miss, meaning 1% crit on white attacks is wasted).  From what I can tell, this isn't showing up in the RSVs/gem values as a direct indicator-- hit rating and expertise don't get assigned proportionally more value and crit less.  It also looks like the stats are adding in the average agility of items proccing (Death's Choice, for instance) instead of something more complex.

Complicating things here is the same thing that happened with ArP trinkets: you can be over this soft-cap during a DC proc, and under otherwise.  Mongoose (if your weapon serves double duty) can complicate this, as can double-Death's Choice trinkets.

In addition, you approach the FB crit cap quickly, especially with 4T9.

This will become an even greater issue in tier 10 gear, as stats continue to increase exponentially.

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Indeed, this is something I'm going to fix soon, now that it's actually relevant. ArPen gets treated specially, such that it keeps track of the temporary arpen from special effects separately, so that it can properly average it out, including caps. I need to do the same thing for Agi/crit, now that you can reach those caps.

I also found that it wasn't capping white crit at 1-glance-avoid, and fixed that, which will be in for next build.

Oct 14, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Excellent.   I was thinking about this today.   I'm fully gemmed for ArPen at the moment and still hit 60% crit with full raid buffs - with no temp buffs, procs or debuffs on the boss.    And thats with only 2pcT9 so far.

Good to know your on it Astrylian :)