Rawr3 Private Beta Ending

Topics: Retired
Coordinator
Jan 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Thanks everyone who helped test Rawr3 in its private beta. The site will be coming down shortly, and in the coming days we'll begin a public beta. Thanks all!

Jan 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Really?

Can you explain to us what specifically this means?  Will we still have access to the SVN and repository?  Will the code be available for us to test, check, change and help with?

BTW, thanks everyone who makes this application so wonderful!

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM
Edited Jan 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Oh, yeah, absolutely, everything's still there, fully available, except the wowrawr.com site.

If you had installed it locally, it'll still work fine, or you can build and run it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I'm pretty excited to see Rawr3 :).

Coordinator
Jan 10, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Those who are Benefactors on EJ should check out the Benefactor's Bar.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM

the suspense is killing me and I'd rather mess with Rawr 3 than edit this video

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Open beta soon?

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:20 PM
Astrylian wrote:

...in the coming days

could technically mean anytime from now til approximately the end of the world.

I'm guessing this is not dissimilar to the well-known Blizzardspeak term "Soon"(tm)

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ironically, it's very similar to "Soon(tm)" from Blizzard, as the one big obstacle remaining between us and Open Beta is on Blizzard's side, not ours.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM
Astrylian wrote:

Ironically, it's very similar to "Soon(tm)" from Blizzard, as the one big obstacle remaining between us and Open Beta is on Blizzard's side, not ours.

Are you talking about waiting on the armory to update with Lich King data or are you talking about ToS reasons from Blizzard?

Edit: after reading the issue tracker, it sounds more like issues with accessing the armory.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Your post-edit is correct ;) Rawr2 has armory requests coming from the client.  Rawr3 would be coming from the server.  Blizzard doesn't like when one IP makes a bajillion requests to their website, which isn't a big deal in v2 because our users all make their requests from their own computer.  On Rawr3, all those users who want to load from the Armory come from the host server, which is one IP, which makes blizzard's firewall go all "FU!" on us :P

Astrylian, I mentioned this to Gwyn, but is it possible using Silverlight to make the armory request come from the users IP and not from the server?  I know most webapps cannot do this, and native apps can, but I'm not sure where Silverlight falls in this schema

Editor
Jan 11, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Is it possible to talk to Blizz directly and have the Rawr-based IP(s) put on a white-list, given that certain programming ideologies would continue to be adhered to (that is, to minimize the amount of data taken by Rawr)?

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2010 at 4:15 AM

With Silverlight, we can make the calls from the client, however Silverlight restricts you to only making calls to web services which explicitly grant permission for them to be accessed from remote sites (look into cross-site-scripting attacks to understand why), which the Armory currently does not do. We can make the calls from the server, but that has the issues describe above. We're currently working on a solution.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM

If this may be an issue for a while, I know be.imba.hu allows you to cut and paste straight from the armory using the "view source" option in the browser.   You have to do this from your  character sheet and your talent sheet though.  May or may not be an issue.

Looking forward to it.

Coordinator
Jan 12, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I guess that's an option, but it's a really terrible option.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Why couldn't something be done similar to what Simulationcraft is doing with the WoWhead import of saved characters?  This would also allow for saved character sets and remove the WoWArmory option?  Or even include it as well.  Simcraft has a number of import options. 

I would doubt that Blizzards armory would even allow whitelisting, especially with (somewhat) open source software as it could be spoofed and subject to a denial of service if the coding was allowed in the open.  Even with a hardcoded IP whitelist.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

The wowhead guys would no doubt love a little more exposure for their character profiler service.

Also, Askmrrobot.com is solving the same issue, somehow - but I'm fairly certain they're not big-time enough to actually cause a blip in the Armory traffic yet.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Perhaps a new Character Profiling Addon as part of the Rawr Package? 

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:32 AM

I second raven4960's suggestion. It's simple, and also solves the problem that RPGo's character profiler is badly out of date and causing error messages for me these days.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

So guys how is it looking? Did you managed to solve that issue or is it still blocking the release of Rawr3?

It would be a shame to see that great version go to waste.

Someone was writing about copy/pasting characters information, if the users were to edit their characters .xml files by hand would Blizzard be happy or would still Rawr3 go to the armory to collect more data?

A mac user eager to use rawr3 again...

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

there's a sort-of closed beta in progress - you have to be a benefactor with EJ which costs about $12 iirc

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM

We've been waiting on Blizzard to implement something on the Armory for us so that Rawr3 could function. However, that's taking much longer than expected, so we're going to be exploring alternate routes instead.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if the download from armory function were disabled until you could get this resolved... I really miss using Rawr, though!  Rawr without the armory is better than no Rawr at all.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:54 AM

you and me both

However, if they did go that route, a huge number of people would cause a ****storm about it. You'd have a ton and a half of random creeps flooding anything Rawr-related screamin "Rawr suxx noob wtf amrory load not working WTF L2Code lol!!11"

...which really wouldn't be all that awesome. There's always Askmrrobot.com til then.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:37 AM

We solved the armory issue. Release of Rawr3 beta is back on schedule.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I do have a question about releases for RAWR3 are they going to be updated more often or are they going to be released on the usual releases?

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Theoretically, more often.

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Astrylian wrote:

We solved the armory issue. Release of Rawr3 beta is back on schedule.

Awesome!  You guys rock!

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM

For those of us not in the loop or have missed it somewhere, what is the schedule for Rawr3? couple of weeks, couple of months, end of the year?

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Hey,

I've searched the issues tracker but coudn't find it. I'm very curious how did you managed to fix the problem.

Cheers

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM
http://rawr.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=204892&ANCHOR#Post418306 3-rd party website that has staggered caching (cache-ing? your language, not mine)