This project is read-only.

Melee/Hunter Crit Mechanics

Topics: Rawr.Bear, Rawr.Cat, Rawr.DPSDK, Rawr.DPSWarr, Rawr.Enhance, Rawr.Hunter, Rawr.ProtPaladin, Rawr.ProtWarr, Rawr.Retribution, Rawr.Rogue, Rawr.TankDK
Jan 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

New crit mechanics have come to light, that it seems that some people aren't yet aware of.

We all know that bosses have a 4.8% crit suppression, and 24% of our white attacks are glancing blows.  However, what was previously unknown was if you could stack enough crit or hit to overcome these values.

For yellow attacks, they do not glance.  The crit suppression can be overcome by extra crit value.  Consider Overpower, an ability with a 50% bonus chance to crit.  If I have 50% crit chance, and I'm hit/expertise capped, my total crit chance is 50% from my stats + 50% from the ability = 100%.  If I'm attacking a boss, that value is decreased by 4.8%, meaning I will crit 95.2% of the time and will hit 4.8% of the time.  If I increased my crit chance to 54.8%, then I will overcome the crit suppression, and wind up having 100% of my overpowers crit.

For white attacks, the mechanics are different.  Consider when I am hit/expertise capped, and have a 24% chance to glance and 76% chance to crit.  My attack table against a lvl 80 would be 24% glance, 76% crit, and no hits/misses.  Against a boss with crit suppression, I have 24% chance to glance, 71.2% chance to crit, and 4.8% chance to hit.  So far, it's the same as yellows, right?

But if I increase my crit to 80.8% to try to overcome the crit cap, my white attacks will still be 24% glance / 71.2% crit / 4.8% hit.  Glance cannot be overcome, no matter what.  That 4.8% crit suppression cannot be overcome, no matter what.  So, in this case, 71.2% is my crit cap.

The full formula for the crit cap is:

100% - 24% glance - 4.8% crit suppression - %dodge - %miss (also factor in parry and block for frontal-attacking like tanks, Auriaya, some Twin Valks strats, etc).

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I don't think hunter white shots glance?

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM

If they don't glance, I'd assume that the rest of the mechanics (that the 4.8% crit suppression cannot be overcome) still applies.  This probably isn't a realistic scenario for hunters, who are usually white hit capped -- I'd be shocked to see a hunter with over 95% crit, but I guess with multiple procs it's possible for a short period of time.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Note: recent EJ testing has shown that the crit depression CAN BE OVERCOME FOR WHITE ATTACKS, and that the previous data came from a bug in Recount where partial blocks were displaying as hits (see Issue #16255).  I know that DPSWarr, EnhSham, and Cat had made changes from the initial testing that showed it could NOT be overcome.  DPSWarr has reverted this change, but I don't think that cat or enhance have.

If you can, try to get this change reverted ASAP so we have the correct info out for 3.2.9.