[ProtPaladin] How can I force expertise cap?

Topics: Rawr.Base.Optimizer, Rawr.ProtPaladin
Jan 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I am trying to specify a target expertise level for my protection paladin, and I see the score on the "Stats" tab.

The question is, "How can I specify this value during optimize?"

I see that I can specify "% Hit Chance" and make it >= 100, but the closest I see for what might be an expertise requirement is "% Chance to be Avoided".

If this "% Chance .." is the right requirement, how is it used and what are applicable values for the soft and hard cap?

Thank you.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Chance to be avoided is 1-Miss+Dodge+Parry.  So, if you want 95% of your attacks to land (ie, have 2.5% dodge and 2.5% miss).  If you want hit and expertise cap, then set this requirement to 100.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Then I am not sure if this function is working as intended.

/ To make sure testing is the same, max boss damage is set to 100k, mitigation is set to 50%, chill of the throne buff is activated. Buffs are as I, as a 0/53/18 protection paladin can cast on myself. /

Using a "wish list protection paladin" set which basically can utilize the best pieces from ICC, ToC, Emblems of Frost and Triumph, and optimizing for "% Chance to be Avoided" and an extensive thoroughness .. it caps out at 20.5 which relates to an expertise of 16.00 (including paladin talents and the glyph of SoV).

However, optimizing for Overall rating given "Defense Skill >= 540" and "% Hit Chance >= 100", Expertise successfully gets to 26.

Am I still misunderstanding or is something not working as intended?

Thank you.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I'm sorry, I totally messed up in my previous response.  You want to MINIMIZE the % chance to be avoided.  To be expertise and hit capped, you do % chance to be avoided <= 0.  (Serves me right for responding when I was distracted by work :P)

You don't want to optimize for % chance to be avoided, that means you're trying to find the set with the least amount of hit/expertise.  Instead, optimize for Overall Rating, and as an additional requirement, add "% Chance to Be Avoided <= 0" where you are also setting the defense skill req.

Does that work in your scenario?  If not, then please open an issue in the Issue Tracker (and be sure to attach your character file)

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

This did work.

Soft cap: <= 7.5%

Hard cap: <= 0%

Thank you.